Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B status and travel to India

Hi

I came to US in 2005 on L visa and got my status changed to H1. My visa got expired in 2006 and I am currently on H1 Status.

I did not work until Dec 05 and started working with my new employer from Jan 2006.

Was my stay in US legal from Oct 01 till Dec 31, 2005 since I did not work with my new employer.

I changed the employers twice after that and currently hold approved I 797 from two employers.

I am in the process of changing my current employer and plan to start working with employer B from July 20. My new employer is a consulting company and may not have any project for me to work for some time.

Will it be legal to be on H1B status and not work (wait till you get the project). My consulting company will not be running the payroll for me till I start working on the project.

I also plan to travel to India during June and return during first week of July. Will it be OK to appear for Visa interview with the approved petition of the new employer even though I have not started working with the new employer yet. I want to do so since that will mean that my visa stamp will be valid for longer time (the approved petition from the new employer is valid till 2011, while the petition from my current employer will be valid only till 2009).

I want to have one more clarification regarding the interview. I will be starting the techno-functional consulting in the field of Financial systems design for the first time and though have long experience and extensive education in the field of Finance, but no formal certification in technology. In that event, will it not be easy to convince the visa officer about my credentials in connection with current job in Finance rather than the new employer where the job requirements do not match strongly with my current background/formal certifications.

I will really appreciate your response.

thanks and regards

Naren

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X