H-1B Stamping and Form DS-156 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-1B Stamping and Form DS-156 Questions

Hi, I'm currently in the US on an F-1 visa, which already expired (currently on OPT). I got my H-1B approved. I'll be going to my home country sometimes in September/October, and at the same time I'll go for my H-1B visa stamping (for the first time). Meanwhile, before I'll be going for the visa interview, I'll be getting married. Now here are my questions/confusions:

a) Can my future wife join with me for the visa interview - H-1B for me and H-4 for her? As I mentioned before, I/we will be attending the visa interview after the wedding, and will have our marriage certificate and wedding album with us.

b) I will be scheduling the visa appointment date before I'll be getting married. So what information should I put on the form DS-156, question # 17: Marital Status? The confusion I am having here is if I put my material status as SINGLE, I won't be able to put my future wife's information on the form, and therefore, she won't be able to join with me for the visa interview. On the other hand, if I put my material status as MARRIED, will that cause any problem, since I won't be actually married when I'll be filling up the form / scheduling the interview.

c) How important is it to have a good bank balance for the H-1/H-4 visa interview? Since I barely graduated from school and started my new job, I still don't have a good bank balance.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

a) No problem. Yes you can.
    b) I would put married since at the time of interview you will be married.
    c) Why would they need any bank balance? If you are going to work and be making enough money in the U.S. to support the two of you, you are fine. In short, bank balance is not required.
    Check out H1 FAQs first!
    http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Originally posted by sls
        Thanks for the reply!
        Make sure you get married though. Don't change your mind after making the appointment.
        Check out H1 FAQs first!
        http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

Originally posted by DMX17
          Make sure you get married though. Don't change your mind after making the appointment.

R**** that. I very much doubt if any of us are going to change our minds

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X