• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1. H1 and GC

As i have read in this forum that applying for GC is for future employment
    So here is my question
    I am currently working on L1 visa
    and about to join a company B on H1 using COS.
    if I apply for GC through company B then will this GC process will keep going on even if I join company A again on L1 visa.
    I am asking this question because L1 and H1 are treated differently.

and another question is if you apply for a GC then the GC process will keep moving and can come to India and work for another company.
    mainly I want to ask what are the requirement to keep the GC process moving if you are not there in US?

GC Dreams

As i have read in this forum that applying for GC is for future employment
    So here is my question
    I am currently working on L1 visa
    and about to join a company B on H1 using COS.
    if I apply for GC through company B then will this GC process will keep going on even if I join company A again on L1 visa.

---- The GC process may be kept going,but it is your employment with company B that is important. it is upto the employer to keep it alive, irrespective of your status

I am asking this question because L1 and H1 are treated differently.

and another question is if you apply for a GC then the GC process will keep moving and can come to India and work for another company.

---- Yes, you can work for as many companies as you want after getting the GC in hand (4-5 years). In general if a company is sposnoring for your GC they would like you to be on their payroll and then only processa GC application

mainly I want to ask what are the requirement to keep the GC process moving if you are not there in US?

---- You cannot stay outside the US for more than a continuous period of 6 months in a ear, else you have to go through many other procedures for reinstatement of GC

Subramanya

Comment

I think your questions were different than the answers provided below for. You can go out of the country and work for any employer while the GC process is going on if the employer is okay with continuing it.

Only when you come to the I485 stage (last), there are two options, CP or AoS which have to be chosen during I140 application. This will determine if you have to reside in US or stay away elsewhere.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X