Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 transfer

Hi,

I am currently in the US on an H-4 visa.
    I applied for a H1 visa through company A this year (2008) and received an email yesterday from USCIS that they have mailed an Approval notice to my employer. I am hoping that the notice will be received in a week.

I have a couple of questions:

1. How long do I have to work with company A before I can apply for a transfer?
    2. Can I start applyng for jobs with other companies (other than company A) now or do I have to wait for my passport to be stamped or some other such formality ?

Thank you

You can get it transferred now. Search the forum for similar posts.

Comment

1. Zero before Oct 1st.
      2. Yes before Oct 1st. No after that without paystubs.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Clarifications

Thanx for the reply. Just to make sure I understand this correctly,
        1. I can start looking for a job with another employer now.
        2. I can transfer my H1 to a new employer before October 1st without having worked for the employer who has sponsored my current H1 visa.
        3. If I am unable to transfer to another employer before Oct. 1st, then I will have to work with current employer for sometime before changing to a new one.

If (3) is true, then what is the duration for which I will have to work with current employer before changing my job?

Thank you for your help

Comment

You did get it right. No specific duration. USCIS is interested in your recent paystubs and that you are actually working and maintaining your H1b status before approving any transfers.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanx again for the quick response.

I got my I797 and it has a I-94 with it.
            Can you please tell me what are the next steps from here?
            Do I need to get the H1 visa stamped in my passport or are there any other formalities that I need to complete before I can start working?

Comment

Nothing to be done if you want to work for that employer. Educate yourself by reading about H1b meanwhile from various websites.

Comment

Alright.

Thank you for your guidance and prompt replies.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X