H1B Visa, Passport renewal and India Travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Visa, Passport renewal and India Travel

I am working on H1B visa in US. I renewed India passport for 10 years from Houston this year as my old passport expires on 2-Jan-2009. Currently I have a visa stamping (during my India trip in December 2007) on my old passport which is valid till 01-Jan-2009. I received my extended H1B visa petition last week, valid up to March-1-2010.

I am planning a short India vacation next month and I will be back by 10-Nov-2008. My question is - Do I have to go to consulate in India and get a new visa stamping on my renewed India passport? Or just carrying the old and new passports as well as petitions is sufficient. Pls help as I plan to book my tickets soon

Nope ...

... your valid visa in the cancelled passport, stays valid until its own expiry.

You need to carry both the passports with you for the travel.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I understand that I do not have to go to US consulate in India for visa stamping on my renewed passport because my current visa stamping on old passport is valid up to Jan 2009.

Another quick clarification - when I return to US, I-94 validity date will be 03-01-2010, same as end validity date of my extended H1 visa petition. right?

Apperciate your help on this.

Comment

Hi,

That's correct.
        When you enter US -just show the new H1 petiton and you will be given I-94 till the end date of your petition.

I have seen some cases - where new I-94 was given till the end date of H1 Visa stamped on the passport inspite of having new extened H1 petiton - these are very rare cases.
        So , in this case make sure that you show the new H1 petiton and explain the same at Port of Entry.

---Abhay
        ============================
        Senior Members , Please confirm

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X