Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple jobs/incomes on H1-B

Hello,
    I have a H1-B visa with 3 years left on it. One of my former colleagues has started a company and asking me whether i can work part-time (10-20 hrs per week) on that company. I might not get paid for it, but i will be getting some percentage of shares (in that company) when its sold or goes for public issue.

Is it possible to do this on H1? what are the implications if the company gets sold and i make some money from it? Is it legal to have 2 incomes (or work for 2 companies) in H1-B?

I would really appreciate if someone clarifies these questions.

Thanks!

No work in any form without approval from USCIS. To do it the legal way, your friend has to file a part time concurrent H1b application and pay you for the hours as per the LCA.

If you work without pay, that is also illegal.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks.

Just curious, what if i have an additional income, like advertising revenue from a personal blog? I am not getting this income by actually "working".

Is this also considered illegal?

Comment

Blogging or creating a website is work. Getting paid for doing so is a no-no on H1B.

Comment

Originally posted by bluejackal06
          Is this also considered illegal?
          Yes. Doing so and getting revenue from google adsense is also illegal for anyone on a H1b.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X