I-94 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-94 question

I have a valid H1B stamping from my ex-employer until feb 2009. When I changed employer I got a new I-797 which is valid till feb 2010. I went outside the country and came back in. At the POE, I got new I-94 only till feb 2009. What can I do now? Do I have to go out of the country to rectify this or can I do something within US itself? Am I in violation?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

If you had presented the right I797, you would have got the I-94 date correct. It is your duty to check that. Go back to POE and get the I-94 corrected. If they don't, you need to plan to travel before the current I-94 expires.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

txh1b,

Thanks for that quick reply. Ya, I understand it is my mistake. Can I go across the border to canada and while coming back get the new I-94 using the I-797 approval notice or should I have to go back to home country (India) for this? Can the local immigration office take care of this (wild hope!!!!)? Thanks.

Comment

You could try Canada. First try the airport deferred inspection office. They can help if they are willing to.

If not, you could also apply for a H1b extension instead of travel to home country as company has to pay for it

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks txh1b, I got this fixed. I went to the airport deferred inspection office and they issued new I-94 with correct dates.

Comment

Which airport was this?

Comment

Boston. My POE was Chicago.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X