Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 Visa Restamping

Hi,

My wife got her H4 in India in the passport that had her maiden name. Since then, after coming to the states she changed her Surname as my name and got a new passport.

We are planning for a trip home. Should she obtain a new visa while coming back?

Has someone gone through this situation?

Thanks,
    Sathyanarayanan

Hi Narayanan,

Following is my opinion/answers:

You don;t require a new H4 visa as long as ur wife's previous H4 visa is VALID while coming to US.
    Make sure that u keep/band both the passports together.

Only thing I am not sure that while coming to US - when ur wife gets a new I-94 -then which name should be mentioned in it - OLD or NEW?

Senior members may help u on this.

---Abhay

Comment

I see it more of a problem and inconvenience when you return.

The I-94 will match the visa name and passport name will be different. The IO may allow the passport name to be mentioned on the I-94 but SSN,DL etc will not move forward if there is a name mismatch in any of the places.

Though not needed, it will save you a lot of hassle if you get a new visa stamp. I would recommend ONE same in all places to avoid complications.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for the clarifications. When we entered the states for the first time, She gave my name as her surname. We even got her license based on that.

Comment

The CBP officer may not have noticed it on the I-94 as you may have entered together. It will lead to complications during renewals and other things. Rest is your choice.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X