Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding through 15 countries.... :passport renewal dilemma

Hi all,
    I am and Indian citizen planning a motorcycle ride all the way from California to Argentina. Am taking unpaid leave from my employer. There are 12 countries involved and only 8 pages left on my passport.

To add to this, i have a H1b renewal interview in Vancouver in December, where i expect they will stamp my passport.

Now, my question is, i will return to san francisco in December and get tourist visas stamped for about 5 countries and then my current passport will be full. At this point, i could to get my passport renewed, and proceed to fill up the new passport with the remaining tourist visas as i travel southwards to argentina.

At that point, i would have an old, full passport with the valid H1b stamping good until 2011, and a new passport with a bunch of tourist visas of different countries and no h1b stamping on it.

When i seek to re-enter the US from Argentina, will there be any problems because the valid h1b stamping will be on an old (expired) passport and not the new passport? Will i need to get the h1b stamped again on the new passport from the american consulate in argentina?

Ofcourse, all of this could be avoided if i could simply get a fresh indian passport, but giventhe time it takes to process one, i will lose the date for the Vancouver interview...

Also, do officials at POE ask for the past 1-2 months paystubs and create a problem if i am unpaid for the time i have been travelling?

Many thanks in advance for your advise!
    sri

All valid visas remain valid in the old passport. You will not have issues for the pay if you were outside the country.

Enjoy your trip! I wish I could do what you are doing :-(

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

txh1b,
      Phew!! i am relieved indeed.
      thank you for such a quick and precise answer to both questions! You are doing a great service here.

thank you again and keep up the great work!
      Shridhar

Originally posted by txh1b
      All valid visas remain valid in the old passport. You will not have issues for the pay if you were outside the country.

Enjoy your trip! I wish I could do what you are doing :-(

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X