• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 Visa Passport name change

Hi all,

If my wife is coming to US on a H4 visa

1) Does she need to get her name changed in the passport to apply for visa

2) If she does not change the name in the passport, what name should she write in the marriage certificate .. e.g. should she preserver her last name as in her passport or she can change the last name in the marriage certificate and still apply for visa with her maiden name.

3) Is it mandatory to add the spouse's name in passport for visa application.

4) If she doesnt change her name in passport what all problems arise when she comes to USA or what are the things to take care of.

Any suggestions and comments would be appreciated ...

Thanks
    Infotalk

It should not be a problem. My wife had her same name on the passport and visa till now. But before she came to US, she went to Passport office and added spouse name (ie. my name) on to her passport and got the passport...

But, please check the latest procedures!

Vj

Comment

Hi,

I don;tthink so..she has to change her name in the passport to get the Visa...if she is keeping the same name everywhere...then there should not be any problem.

I am not sure that it is mandatory..but it is better to add the spouse name in the passport.
      There is one issue with that which you have to check with the Passport Office. For eg) For Hyderabad(India)- they issue totally a new passport for
      adding the spouse name(which takes time)

Thanks,
      Abhay

Comment

Thank you both for the replies.

So suppose she changes her name in the passport and marriage certificate and if she wants to get admission in some university here in USA ... her marksheets will have her old name and her passport will have the new name .. .so how does it work with the universities here ....

basically her school leaving will also have her old name ...

Comment

In that case you can leave your wife's name as such.

On the passport, you will have to include the spouse name ie your name and thats it.

Vj

Comment

Thanks VJ for the reply. One last question .. is it mandatory to put spouse name on the passport before going for the H4 visa ?

If not, then is it possible to do so after coming to US ?

Comment

Originally posted by infotalk
              One last question .. is it mandatory to put spouse name on the passport before going for the H4 visa ?
              No.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Hi,
                I have a similar problem in my H4 vis wish is stamped already with Given Name: FNU Surname: Father's name + my name (Similar to my current passport)
                I need to renew my passport ...and would like to correct the name to Given Name: My Name , Surname: Father's name.

IF I do this is sufficient to carry my old passport while travelling to US with stamped H4 visa along with new passport?
                Or do i need to re-stamp my H4 VISA? with the changes?

please help

Comment

Carrying the new passport along with the old passport that contains the visa and the documents for the name change is enough for travel.
                  You can also get your visa re-stamped if you wish so that you get the name corrected in the visa as well.

Originally posted by D Mony View Post
                  Hi,
                  I have a similar problem in my H4 vis wish is stamped already with Given Name: FNU Surname: Father's name + my name (Similar to my current passport)
                  I need to renew my passport ...and would like to correct the name to Given Name: My Name , Surname: Father's name.

IF I do this is sufficient to carry my old passport while travelling to US with stamped H4 visa along with new passport?
                  Or do i need to re-stamp my H4 VISA? with the changes?

please help
                  Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X