Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of name

Hi,

I am on H4 visa right now.I came to US last April.I had changed my name then. I have an Indian affidavit and newspaper ads for change of name. Since i had no time then, I could not get it changed in the passport.I will be applying for H1 this April.I want to get my name changed in the passport before that. Could you please tell me if there would arise any discrepancy with the changed name in the passport when I would be applying for H1?Also, do i need to make any change in the visa too?

Help appreciated.
    Last edited by H4confusedvisa; 01-05-2009, 03:49 PM.

Change of name

I am on H4 visa right now.I came to US last April.I had changed my name then. I have an Indian affidavit and newspaper ads for change of name. Since i had no time then, I could not get it changed in the passport.I will be applying for H1 this April.I want to get my name changed in the passport before that. Could you please tell me if there would arise any discrepancy with the changed name in the passport when I would be applying for H1?Also, do i need to make any change in the visa too?

---- If you are applying for H1 then have your name changed in the Passport by sending it to the nearest Indian Consulate in the US (as you hold a Indian Passport). You need change your name in the H4 visa. However keep all the documents like affidavit etc. for the sake of records

Subramanya

Comment

Thank you. I will apply for change of name in the US consulate. But could you please let me know as to how to go about the change in the H4 visa. Since I had got it stamped in Chennai, should i go to India and make changes or how is it?Please advice me.

Also, the validity of the H4 is till this September. I just filed and signed on the H4 visa extension form with the present name. So,should i notify the change of name to my husband's employer too?Please help.

Comment

Change of name

I will apply for change of name in the US consulate. But could you please let me know as to how to go about the change in the H4 visa. Since I had got it stamped in Chennai, should i go to India and make changes or how is it?Please advice me.

Also, the validity of the H4 is till this September. I just filed and signed on the H4 visa extension form with the present name. So,should i notify the change of name to my husband's employer too?Please help.[/QUOTE]

---- Actually there is no need to change the name on your H4 visa. It can remain as it is. In my earlier post it was mistakenly written that you need to change your name. As written earlier keep all your documents and affidvaits with you as aproof of change of name

Subramanya

Comment

Thank you so much for your guidance.
          Last edited by H4confusedvisa; 01-06-2009, 02:16 PM.

Comment

If i get my H4 extension, then do i need to go for stamping again?

Do i need to submit the affidavit and supporting documents too while filing for H1 or the passport copy itself will suffice?This i asked because all my marks sheets, certificates have the unchanged name.

Comment

If i get my H4 extension, then do i need to go for stamping again?

---- If you continue to reside in the US there i no need for you to go for a H4 visa

Do i need to submit the affidavit and supporting documents too while filing for H1 or the passport copy itself will suffice?This i asked because all my marks sheets, certificates have the unchanged name.[/QUOTE]

---- It is a good idea to submit all the documents so that there are no questions and if the documents of no use during H1 processing USCIS will not look at them in detail

Subramanya

Comment

[QUOTE]If i get my H4 extension, then do i need to go for stamping again?

---- If you continue to reside in the US there i no need for you to go for a H4 visa

Thank you Subramanya. In the above reply did you mean that if my H4 gets extended, then i dont have to get it stamped again?Please clarify this for me. And in the case of extension, how to go about with the name change on it?

Comment

For your own good, have everything in ONE name. Dont have passport in 1 last name, visa in another name, DL, SSN etc. It is better that they all match for your immigration/background checks will take forever.

While applying for an extension, your lawyer can enclose necessary proof of name change and get the extension processed with the changed name.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b
                    For your own good, have everything in ONE name. Dont have passport in 1 last name, visa in another name, DL, SSN etc. It is better that they all match for your immigration/background checks will take forever.

While applying for an extension, your lawyer can enclose necessary proof of name change and get the extension processed with the changed name.

Thank you txh1b for your second part of reply. But regarding name change in the visa, I have got two contradictory replies. One to retain as it is, the other to have the visa with the changed name. If i have to retain then thats fine but if i have to make change in the visa, how to go about it?Also, what about in I-94? Please help.

Comment

Please help clarifying to me when i get my name changed in the passport do i have to change in the visa and I-94 too?If so, how can i go about doing that?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X