Travel on L1 while Having H1B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel on L1 while Having H1B

I am having L1 Visa from my current employer. Now my H1B petition is stampped from US Employer. Can I go to USA on L1B from my current employer and later on switch company to US Employer that have filed my H1B petition. Please suggest. In short, Can I have L1 and H1 at the same and enter to US on L1 instead of H1B. thanks in advance

L1 and H1 Dilemma

I am having L1 Visa from my current employer. Now my H1B petition is stampped from US Employer. Can I go to USA on L1B from my current employer and later on switch company to US Employer that have filed my H1B petition. Please suggest. In short, Can I have L1 and H1 at the same and enter to US on L1 instead of H1B. thanks in advance

---- At a given point of time you can only work for one employer i.e. L1 or H1 employer. If you want to start working for L1 employer while enterign US declare your intentions at the POE and get a I-94 for the L1 employer

---- Later if you want to switch H1 employer you have to go out of the country and enter the US again declaring your intention of working for the H1 employer, get a I-94 for H1 employer

---- In short L1 and H1 visa can exist on the same Passport

Subramanya

Comment

Thanks Subramanya for quick reply.

I have one more confusion if you can answer.
      If I go to US without stamping H1 ( MY petition is already approved.) for my L1 Employer only. Now after going there can I transfer my I-94 to H1B for my new employer (After 2-3 months or so) who has filed my H1 petition.

Comment

Originally posted by Member2003
        I see that you have L1 visa and H1 visa both stamped in your passport.
        Per the rules, the VO need to cancel once visa (cross it out) in the passpprt begore issuing the new visa.
        Sometimes, the VO does keep both the visa. This case, you need to enter with L1 or H1 not a problem. It's your choice.

Since you have H1 and L1 both stamped, yes, you can come to the US in L1 work for a couple of months. Resign from the L1 job, go out of the country and come back to the US with new I94 for H1.

Yes, you can have both the visas (if VO did not cancel any visa) when you enter the US but you can work for one employer at a time.
        You might be questioned at POE for this, you can tell the strory that they did not cancel. POE DO NOT cancel visas.

I hope that helps.
        Last edited by hikes; 01-09-2009, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Thanks hikes,

I clarify you the exact situation. Right now I am having L1 Visa stamped only. My H1 petition is approved last year, I could have traveled in October 08, But I haven't traveled at that time due to global recession. I haven't stamped my H1 till now. Now my current employer is sending me on L1 to USA.

My question is if I go there on L1 without stamping H1 visa, can I change my status to H1 in USA after 2-3 months on L1 Visa without coming back to India. And if there is any other good way to handle this situation then please advise the same.

Comment

Please anybody reply to my last thread. Thanks in advance

Comment

You are allowed to have petitions on H1b and L1 and enter on L1. Read tons of other posts with the same issue. H1b remains as is as far as the petition goes.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X