Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I on H1b want to do business.

Hi,

I am on H1b visa and am working in USA right now, am Indian citizen. I want to invest some money with my family here in US. Now unknowingly we just formed an S Corporation with my name. Then just reading the rules I found that only citizens/residents can own a S corp.

My question is: Can I be partner with my family in this S Corporation? If no to S Corp then what will be best alternative?

If no then will there be any problem on my current Visa as I did so?

Kind regards,

Dushyant Sarvaiya

Who is your family?

On a H1b, you cannot have anything to do with the company and just be a passive investor and get returns by paying taxes.

Consult an immigration attorney.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the kind reply.

Its my uncles friend.

My main concern is about S Corp. Can I be partner in an S Corp? Can you suggest some good lawyer in Chicago area?

Comment

You can't really work for that company.
        Immihelp Support
        No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

On a H1b, you cannot have anything to do with a S corp. It is only or USCs and PRs. Get a lawyer and close the S corp that you registered in your name. It will violate your status.

You could be a passive partner only in a C corp or LLC. I don't know any more than this.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

I am on H1B and want to do business

Originally posted by immihelp View Post
            You can't really work for that company.
            Hello Team,

So as per the reply, I can't work for another company/firm. But I can still make money by doing a business, where I am not employed by the firm nor the line of business clashes with the line of business of the company that I work for. So technically, I am an employee of the only company that sponsored by H1B visa but I can still do a part-time business provided I don't be employed by another firm.

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks.

Have a good day!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X