Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with H4 Multiple Last names issue

Hi,

I am getting married in 3 weeks and I was trying to fill the DS-156 form for my fiance when I realized that her two middle names were listed in the last name field. For example, her full name is Surapaneni Venkata Satya Srivalli, where Surapaneni is the last name Srivalli is the first name, and Venkata and Satya are middle names. In the passport, the middle names got listed as below:

Surname: Surapaneni Venkata Satya
    Given Name(s): Srivalli

The DS-156 form states to list the name exactly as in passport. My concern is that if you have three words for last name, will it not create an issue later on with the SSN, Driver's License, H1 application and Green Card processing etc. along with any problems in Visa interview and at airports during the journey.

I asked around but none seem to have an answer. I have two approaches that I am considering.

1. Get her passport changed to look like below
    Surname: Surapaneni
    Given name(s): Srivalli Venkata Satya
    The problem with this is that, we don't have much time now, and they are saying it takes like 15-20 days to get it corrected. That would mean that I will have to come back and she has to come by herself.

2. Take the risk, get her visa, then come to US and then get her last name changed to my last name on the passport here and apply for other documents later on with the new passport and get everything with the new last name.
    The problem with this, is that I am afraid that her certificates wont reflect her name (they have S.V.S. Srivalli on them) and we will have issues when we apply for H1 later on or for F1 later on.

What do you all think. Which is a better way to solve this issue. What are the pros and cons. Please let me know. I am eagerly awaiting a response...

The passport has it listed in the right fashion from the way I look at it.

The first name has the name and Last name's first part has what you want. The extra two names can be ignored for most purposes. Not at all an issue unless you want to be nit picky about it. You can go with your approach if and only if you want it listed like how you want it listed..

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b
      The passport has it listed in the right fashion from the way I look at it.

The first name has the name and Last name's first part has what you want. The extra two names can be ignored for most purposes. Not at all an issue unless you want to be nit picky about it. You can go with your approach if and only if you want it listed like how you want it listed..
      Thanx txh1b, but will it not create any problems for me later on, if her last name has 3 words, like while applying for a SSN, Driver's license or if I try to apply for her H1 and to add to my GC processing later on. All my colleagues and friends have their own version to say, and I am very confused at this point.

Comment

You just have to go with the whole thing as the last name and will likely get truncated at many places due to system restrictions on the number of characters. I don't see an issue here unless you are very particular about it.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Originally posted by txh1b
          You just have to go with the whole thing as the last name and will likely get truncated at many places due to system restrictions on the number of characters. I don't see an issue here unless you are very particular about it.
          Thanks again txh1b, That should be fine. I was only concerned that with the added security restrictions these days, they will have an objection every where with three worded last name. Actually my colleague recently got stuck in India because his last name was Kumar and they said lots and lots of people had the same last name. So he was there for almost like an extra month, lost his project here and had a tough time. So I was thinking that multiple words in last name would give us similar issues. But if it is fine and it would just get truncated then I might not have an issue at all with it. I would probably try for name change to my last name later on but I wouldnt worry too much about it...

Comment

Kumar and Amit are different. They have had name check hits for a while now.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X