Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Transfer approved / I-94 expiring

Hi All,

Last time when I entered into USA, they give me I-94 which is valid up to Sep 2009. Now I transferred my visa to new company. I have received approved 797C, Notice of Action which is valid to Aug 2011.

The approved Notice of Action does not have I-94 enclosed and I do not have plan to go to India before Sep 2009.

My questions are:

1) Am I required to go back before Sep 2009 since I-94 and old visa are expiring on Sep 2009?
    2) How can I apply for extension of I-94 staying in USA only?

Thanks,
    Mahesh

I797C is just a receipt.

Notice of approval of H1b will be I797A (attached I-94) or I797B (No-i94)

If you get a I797B on a transfer, you have to stop working for the new employer (if you already started) and go out and get a new visa stamped (if your visa already expired), get a new I-94 at POE. Working for new employer after denial of an extension of stay is illegal.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

txh1b, Thank you for quick reply.

KINDLY READ QUESTION ONE MORE TIME AND PLEASE REPLY.

Originally posted by txh1b
      I797C is just a receipt.

> Its not new visa. I transferred old visa to to new employer while being in USA only and have received I-797C.

If you get a I797B on a transfer, you have to stop working for the new employer (if you already started) and go out and get a new visa stamped (if your visa already expired), get a new I-94 at POE. Working for new employer after denial of an extension of stay is illegal.
      > Its confusing me. My old visa is still valid but old visa does not make any difference since I have received approved I-797C for new employer.

My question is I-94 which is valid up to Sep 2009 and , *NEW* Notice of Action which is valid to Aug 2011 so do I have to go to India to get new I-94?

Comment

Thank you txh1b

I am sorry txh1b. Your answer is perfect, I just did not understand it first.

Now please tell me if attorney is supposed to keep original I-797A and why he would not send me original copy of I-797A? they just sent me I-797C.

I797C is just a receipt.

Comment

If your transfer came with an attached I-94, then you can stay. If not, you have to leave and return to get a new I-94 to work for the new company.

I am not sure why the attorney would keep the I797A. They at least have to give your I-94 or bottom half of I797A as the top portion belongs to employer.

I believe the attorney sent you the copy of the courtesy copy of the H1b approval which also is labeled I797C (faintly remember so). I797A is sent to the employer.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

If not, you have to leave and return to get a new I-94 to work for the new company.
            I assume, since my old visa and I-94 are still valid upto Sep 2009, I do NOT have to go to India as you mentioned above.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X