Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B expires in 6 months, but still in India

Hi all,

I got my H1B stamped in January 2007 in India. Due to personal reasons and then due to the economic slowdown, I did not go to US. I'm still in India. Since the situation is still not good for H1B people in US and I've a good job in India, I'm confused whether to go to US or not now. If I opt for US, I need to get the job and then immediately apply for the extension as my H1B expires on this 30th Sep. I'm not sure if there any issues in H1B extensions too now a days.
    My main worry is if I come to US now leaving the job in India and if I do not get the extension, that's a big big problem for me.

Please advise if there is anyway I can save my visa without going to US. I request all the members to provide any other alternatives.
    Thanks in advance.

Srujana

Originally posted by srujanap View Post
    Hi all,

I got my H1B stamped in January 2007 in India. Due to personal reasons and then due to the economic slowdown, I did not go to US. I'm still in India. Since the situation is still not good for H1B people in US and I've a good job in India, I'm confused whether to go to US or not now. If I opt for US, I need to get the job and then immediately apply for the extension as my H1B expires on this 30th Sep. I'm not sure if there any issues in H1B extensions too now a days.
    My main worry is if I come to US now leaving the job in India and if I do not get the extension, that's a big big problem for me.

Please advise if there is anyway I can save my visa without going to US. I request all the members to provide any other alternatives.
    Thanks in advance.

Srujana
    -- comments on RED text: "its not Fixed Deposite or some banks savings account Deposit....", anyway if you have job and u will maintain H1B status after entering into US. if your future US employer ready to H1B transfer or your first employer is sending new all docs and prove that he needs you... then u can enter otherwise my advice is donot enter without job. your answer in your Question so, solve yourself first what to do.. best luck

Comment

Read the FAQs. There is no requirement to renew the visa prior to current H1b expiration when you are outside US. Can be done later with any employer.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thank you both of you.
        Now I've gone thru the FAQ sections on this website.
        My visa is valid till 30th Sep 2009. Since I've a good job here in India and the economic situation is not good in US now, I've decided not to go to US now and I may come to US in 2010 only. That's being said, I may not go to US before 30th Sep 2009, so my H1B visa will expire.
        Based on the FAQ, I understand that
        • If the current H1B petition is valid beyond 30th Sep 2009, I can go for visa stamping again later on the same petition. Can someone please confirm this?
        • I can transfer H1B to another employer (still I'm being in India), get the new petition and go for visa stamping again. This new petition will not be subjected to the H1B cap. Of course I have to answer the visa officers for not utilizing the earlier visa.

Not sure if the current employer can also file for extension or a new petition while I'm still in India.

If the current employer or new employer can file for a new H1B petition based on my current H1B petition, what documents I need to provide. Is it better to initiate this process now or after few more months as I've the visa till 30th Sep 2009.

Before this H1b stamping, I was on L1B for 3 years (2004-2006). I got the H1B stamped in Jan 2007 but did not go to US due to various personal reasons.

Could you please provide your valuable inputs.
        Thanks in advance

Srujana

Comment

You already got the answers to these questions if you read the FAQs.

Your current/new/future employer can apply for a H1b if you have not used 6 years. The term extension does not apply if you are abroad.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X