H4 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 help

I am on H4 visa. The H4 stamp on my passport expires on Oct 15 2009 and the extension expires Sep 30 2010. I will be travelling to India returning Oct 1 2009. My questions are:
    1. Do I have to get my an extended H4 stamped even if the stamp is valid for another 10 days or so ? If so, do I have to follow the same procedures as my first H4 stamping.
    2. If I go for stamping I fear the background checks that are being done these days causing people to get stuck for 3-4 months. Does H4 stamping also have a possibility of background checks.
    Will appreciate any comments/advise
    Thanks

I am on H4 visa. The H4 stamp on my passport expires on Oct 15 2009 and the extension expires Sep 30 2010. I will be travelling to India returning Oct 1 2009. My questions are:
    1. Do I have to get my an extended H4 stamped even if the stamp is valid for another 10 days or so ? If so, do I have to follow the same procedures as my first H4 stamping.

--- Not required, but you can get it extended if you choose to. For getting a new H4 stamp, follow the procedures on the VFS website for requirements and steps to obtain a new H4 stamp.

2. If I go for stamping I fear the background checks that are being done these days causing people to get stuck for 3-4 months. Does H4 stamping also have a possibility of background checks.

--- If you have all your documentation and the H1B holder has his/her documents in order, then you should have no trouble getting the H4 stamping done. Prepare well and don't worry.

Seniors, please correct if there is an error.

Good Luck
    Rajesh

Comment

Thanks Rajesh. I appreciate your comments. Recently our friends however got checked when they went for H1/H4 stamping. They had to wait ~4 months!! They both had PhDs in biochemistry field and so do I. I believe the problem is in answering one the DS 157 questions where they ask if the applicant has any experience in the area of biolabs etc. Wonder what should be the right answer to such questions. If you say yes you get stuck for 3 months, if you say "no" they percieve it a lie and reject your application.

Comment

Thanks Rajesh. I appreciate your comments. Recently our friends however got checked when they went for H1/H4 stamping. They had to wait ~4 months!! They both had PhDs in biochemistry field and so do I. I believe the problem is in answering one the DS 157 questions where they ask if the applicant has any experience in the area of biolabs etc. Wonder what should be the right answer to such questions. If you say yes you get stuck for 3 months, if you say "no" they percieve it a lie and reject your application.

--- Why take a chance with stamping with these uncertainities, specially when you are legally allowed to enter the US on an existing H4 stamp with valid I-797 going well into 2010.

If you still think you want to get stamped, I believe consulting a lawyer would be your best option and I think, the lawyer will ask you to answer YES to the Biolabs experience that you possess. Better go with the truth and suffer a delay in your US return than risk it entirely.

Thanks
        Rajesh

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X