Visa Appointment: Choice of Consulate in India

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visa Appointment: Choice of Consulate in India

Hi -- I have a quick question about the H-1B stamping process. I entered the US on a F-1 in 2005 and as of 2007 had my status change to H-1B here in the US.

I haven't returned to India to get my passport stamped, since I never had to leave the country since then. This summer, I intend to get my H-1B stamp for the first time during a quick visit to India. Since I am a US resident, can I (a) choose whichever US consulate in India (Chennai/Mumbai/Kolkata/Delhi) that I want, depending on availability of interview slots, or (b) am I obligated to go to the one with jurisdiction over where my passport was issued, since this is my first H-1B stamp?

The VFS website observes: "Indian citizens resident in the USA on work permit and applying for a new visa to replace an expiring visa can request an appointment at any of the five visa sections."

I assume this applies to me, correct?

Does it also make any difference that when applying for the change of status, I was asked which embassy I am likely to visit if I returned, or is that irrelevant now?

Thanks.

I have a quick question about the H-1B stamping process. I entered the US on a F-1 in 2005 and as of 2007 had my status change to H-1B here in the US.

I haven't returned to India to get my passport stamped, since I never had to leave the country since then. This summer, I intend to get my H-1B stamp for the first time during a quick visit to India. Since I am a US resident, can I (a) choose whichever US consulate in India (Chennai/Mumbai/Kolkata/Delhi) that I want, depending on availability of interview slots, or (b) am I obligated to go to the one with jurisdiction over where my passport was issued, since this is my first H-1B stamp?

The VFS website observes: "Indian citizens resident in the USA on work permit and applying for a new visa to replace an expiring visa can request an appointment at any of the five visa sections."

I assume this applies to me, correct?

----- Yes, you can go t any US Consult India to appear for a visa interview

Does it also make any difference that when applying for the change of status, I was asked which embassy I am likely to visit if I returned, or is that irrelevant now?

---- You can mntion any US embassy in India and it will not make a difference

Subramanya

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X