H-1 layoff - GC pending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-1 layoff - GC pending

I am on H1 visa and I am being laid off soon. My wife is on GC and she filed I-130 for me last year. Next year in Sept 2010 my wife is becoming US Citizen. I heard that since I entered US legally than being out-of-status does not affect my chances to adjust status and get GC. The day my wife gets citizenship I will be out-of-status for about 14 months. Please let me know if my understanding of this situation is right. I would also appreciate the advice if you think it might be better for me to transfer to B visa - it will cover me for 6 mo, but I will still be out-of-status for about 8 mo and frankly I am scared that changing status to B visa while waiting for GC might affect my chances for GC. Please advice. Thank you!!!

I am on H1 visa and I am being laid off soon. My wife is on GC and she filed I-130 for me last year. Next year in Sept 2010 my wife is becoming US Citizen. I heard that since I entered US legally than being out-of-status does not affect my chances to adjust status and get GC. The day my wife gets citizenship I will be out-of-status for about 14 months. Please let me know if my understanding of this situation is right. I would also appreciate the advice if you think it might be better for me to transfer to B visa - it will cover me for 6 mo, but I will still be out-of-status for about 8 mo and frankly I am scared that changing status to B visa while waiting for GC might affect my chances for GC. Please advice. Thank you!!

---- You can safely change over to B1/B2 visa if you sense that you are going to be laid off. It does not affect your chances of GC as that process is independent all by itself

---- In the meantime if you find a job on H1 you can apply for a COS and join the employer upon approval of H1. All this provided if you have period left on your H1 which we presume you have

Subramanya

Comment

Thank you Subramanya!

My H-1 is current and expires in 2013. I am a little worried about B visa, because I believe you need to prove that you have intent of returning home when in fact it is given that I am going to search for the job and have actually already filed for GC to stay permanently.

Also even if I am granted B visa and for some reason I cannot find another job within 6 mo I am going to have 6-8 mo gap between B visa expiration and GC - this gap when I potentially run out of status really worries me. Is this gap going to affect my chances of adjusting status to GC? Again I entered US legally and wife is becoming US citizen Sept 2010.

Comment

My H-1 is current and expires in 2013. I am a little worried about B visa, because I believe you need to prove that you have intent of returning home when in fact it is given that I am going to search for the job and have actually already filed for GC to stay permanently.

Also even if I am granted B visa and for some reason I cannot find another job within 6 mo I am going to have 6-8 mo gap between B visa expiration and GC - this gap when I potentially run out of status really worries me. Is this gap going to affect my chances of adjusting status to GC? Again I entered US legally and wife is becoming US citizen Sept 2010

---- It is presumed that you are currently residing in the US and thus you can apply for a COS from H1 to B1. In which casw you do not have to prove any intent. If you do not find a job within 6 months go out of US for a couple of months and return back on B1 for a period of another 6 months. In the meanwhile extend your B1

---- Having stayed in the US for some time and worked on H1, you should be able to land a job within 6 months (although there is no guarantee). It also depends on your field of endeavor

---- If you are still in doubt consult an attorney for further clarifications

Subramanya

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X