Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I OUT OF STATUS.

Hi All,

I am confused about what is out of status.
    Is "out is status" is overstaying than the date mentioned in I94 OR when I have H1B visa and don’t work for anyone in US.

I recently got a job and ioined to Company B. Company B applied fro H1B petition and received the petition receipt and I started working for that company. Last week we received the Petition approval. We did not ask for the extension because I did not had a proper paystubs from previous employer. This means that I don’t have new I94. My existing I94 is valid till Sep2010. My attorney told me to leave and re-enter US to get my new I94.

This happened one week before and when I tried to apply for visitor visa in Canadian embassy they denied mentioning I am out of status.
    I am really concerned about what is out of status. for one week I am not working for any one . is that mean that I am out of status.

Any information in this will be very helpful because I am also exploring the possibility of getting the new stamp at Mexico consulate.
    Thanx again.

Regds,
    Ravikumar.K

You were out of status as your attorney messed up or USCIS erroneously approved the petition without a I-94. Your I-94 for new employer would have the same number as your old employer but will have different validity dates.

All work for new employer is considered illegal now that I-94 is not present with your I797 approval for the new employer. In this case, if you have a valid visa, travel and re-entering is the best option. If not, stamping in home country is suggested.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you so much for the reply.

I have one more question. Do I really need new I94. Why i should not continew to work using the existing I94 since it is valid till Sep2010.

Does I94 has anything to do with the employer i am wokring with. is I94 connected to the employer.

Please advice.

Thanx again.

Regds,
      Ravikumar.K

Comment

Were you working/on H1 before joining this company?
        If yes, you can work with your current I-94. But next you have to leave and return with a new I-94 or the company has to file an extension for you here itself.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X