Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 Extension questions

Hello,

I am on an H1B and my wife is on an H4. I was on an F1 and got my H1 visa in August 2005 and then went to India and got it stamped.

My visa expired in August 2008, and I filed for an extension, which was granted. Now, I am planning to travel to India in August 2009. Do i need to have another interview to get my visa renewed? Will there be an interview or do I just submit my visa at the consulate for renewal? I am not sure of the process.

Also, on the current VFS site, it says to check back for August interview dates. I am going to India for my brother in law's wedding, does that qualify as an emergency?

Please help. I am totally clueless about the process.

Thank you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I am on an H1B and my wife is on an H4. I was on an F1 and got my H1 visa in August 2005 and then went to India and got it stamped.

My visa expired in August 2008, and I filed for an extension, which was granted. Now, I am planning to travel to India in August 2009. Do i need to have another interview to get my visa renewed? Will there be an interview or do I just submit my visa at the consulate for renewal? I am not sure of the process.

Also, on the current VFS site, it says to check back for August interview dates. I am going to India for my brother in law's wedding, does that qualify as an emergency?

Please help. I am totally clueless about the process.

Thank you

--- You have to attend H1B visa in person at a US Consulate. Presently, dates on the VFS website do not provide visibility beyond 2-3 weeks. So if you are planning to go to India now, you will only get dates upto June last week. I do not think marriages (of relatives or anyone for that matter) allow you to qualify for emergency appointments. I may be wrong here (regarding the emergency appointment), so please get clarification from other seniors.

Rajesh

Comment

thanks Rajesh.

As far as the emergency appointment goes, the VFS website did say marriages but was not very clear. I just don't want to go there and fall into any trouble. I am not afraid of the actual visa officers, but i'm terrified of the Indian guys who check the paperwork before you get to the interviews. In Calcutta, the guy threw my papers to the ground because they were not in the order that he liked and in Delhi, the guy said that a certain form was missing (it wasn't), then he got dates wrong, (assumed that November has 31 days) and then told my wife that i was not a good guy and that i was trying to cheat her and didn't really live in the US. (We were married for just 2 days then and I had all my tax documents, drivers license etc.) Then he let us in and the interview itself lasted 30 seconds.

just trying to be safe rather than sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by athard View Post
        In Calcutta, the guy threw my papers to the ground because they were not in the order that he liked and in Delhi, the guy said that a certain form was missing (it wasn't), then he got dates wrong, (assumed that November has 31 days) and then told my wife that i was not a good guy and that i was trying to cheat her and didn't really live in the US.
        What??!!!

Comment

Originally posted by orion View Post
          What??!!!
          Both true stories. The Indian guys in the visa office are terrible. I've had to go 3 times. First to get my F1, when the guy threw my papers. Second time, to get my H1 stamped, luckily my cousin was a temp in the office, so i went through soon. I didn't even know he worked there and then he saw me and said something to the guy behind the counter and i had no issues. the third time, i didn't have to go in, but my wife did, in delhi, for her h4 and he first turned her away, then they called for me and he said these things to her and said go away. i really sweet talked my way, took out my license, credit cards, tax documents, rent lease etc to prove that i was in the US and he told my wife to go in but be prepared to be denied. she was approved within a few seconds, but was in tears throughout. that is why i am trying to be as sure as possible before i go back. these idiots have the power to ruin your career and they don't hesitate to use it just because of their power trip.

Comment

Both true stories. The Indian guys in the visa office are terrible. I've had to go 3 times. First to get my F1, when the guy threw my papers. Second time, to get my H1 stamped, luckily my cousin was a temp in the office, so i went through soon. I didn't even know he worked there and then he saw me and said something to the guy behind the counter and i had no issues. the third time, i didn't have to go in, but my wife did, in delhi, for her h4 and he first turned her away, then they called for me and he said these things to her and said go away. i really sweet talked my way, took out my license, credit cards, tax documents, rent lease etc to prove that i was in the US and he told my wife to go in but be prepared to be denied. she was approved within a few seconds, but was in tears throughout. that is why i am trying to be as sure as possible before i go back. these idiots have the power to ruin your career and they don't hesitate to use it just because of their power trip.

--- There should be a way to file a complaint against these guys. Some one other than you must have had a really bad day to begin with. I personally have gone to the US Consulate in Mumbai thrice (F1 and 2 H1B) and never had a bad experience. In fact, I have had helpful personnel look at my papers.

Same goes with my wife as well (twice) (H4 and H1B) and in Mumbai. No problems for her as well.

Post your experience when you return (visa stamping experience with the VO and also at the gate).

Good luck!
            Rajesh

Comment

I will. So what papers do I need? I have my old passport with the original visa, the new passport, and the I 797 C notice of action. Do I need anything else?

Comment

I will. So what papers do I need? I have my old passport with the original visa, the new passport, and the I 797 C notice of action. Do I need anything else?

--- You will need a lot more. Passport and I-797 are a must. In addition, you will need to fill out DS-156 and DS-157 forms (online). You will also be required to carry your employment verification letter, Forms I-129 and supporting documents, recent pay-stubs, copy of W-2 form, your educational certificates and transcripts (in original), your HDFC receipt, your interview confirmation letter, copies of your previous US visas.

This is not an exhaustive list by any means.

Also, the VFS website is very detailed and informative. That should be your primary guide in setting up a visa stamping appointment and the site will inform you about the documents that need to be provided to the VFS office (ranging anywhere between 3 to 7 business days) prior to your visa interview.

Additionally, read through the forum posts to see what other people have suggested.

Rajesh

Comment

Where do I get the Forms I-129? When my visa was approved, all i got was the 797.

Comment

Where do I get the Forms I-129? When my visa was approved, all i got was the 797.

--- Form I-129 and supporting documents (eg: LCA) are provided by the employer. These documents are not a must for the interview, but having copies of them helps.

Rajesh

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X