No announcement yet.

How to Report a Conning Fraud to Govt.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Report a Conning Fraud to Govt.

This so called known person who is in US on a H1B visa conned us into invest in a gas station business in which he is a 50% partner He is a IT professional. After constant convincing we invested most of our hard earned $$$ for 10 years. He also signed a Notarized document saying he is 50% owner of it. After few months claims he is not at all a owner of it and they closed down the business and have sold all his property like house / car etc and have moved away to some other state and not responding to my emails nor I know where he is. but I am sure he is somewhere in US. all I've is his Drivers license. I went to Police they say it is a civil case so I've to go through an attorney.

My Q is what else can I do? Can I report this to ICE or USCIS (I know for a fact he is working for his green card) so that this guy will not con someone else and run away with their money too? if so, how do I report this fraud to the govt.?

Any help? Any idea please?

Thanks

As police have already said, it is a civil issue as you knowingly took the risk and gave the money. There isn't much that you can do.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks. and yes I understood that part that its my mistake and the $$$ is gone. but I was thinking if there is anything else I can do so that this person would not commit this mistake now or later when he gets his green card. So I was wondering if I can report this case to USCIS or ICE, FBI or any govt. agencies so they can invistigate and take action (not to get my money back but just so he won't screw up someone else)

Comment

Reporting fraud

Call the 1-800 number or go to uscis.gov

Comment

Each agency is entrusted with an area of the law to enforce. You can report to ICE if you believe that this person, being on H1b was working in a gas station with the details as it is a violation of immigration law. As far as money or cheating, ICE has got nothing to do.

Similarly, USCIS will not do anything as they are not the enforcement division of immigration law. ICE is the agency.

FBI deals with a wide range of cases and I don't think they would get involved unless there is anything criminal in question that took place across state lines and violated federal law.

How much money are we talking here? If you know the whereabouts of this person, you should file a civil suit and serve summons from the court through a lawyer or yourself if it is a small claim. If the person does not appear, you get a default judgement in your favor and you can put a lien on the property of this person for which you need to know what this person has in the first place. DO some research and good luck!
          Last edited by txh1b; 07-12-2009, 11:25 AM.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X