H1B 2010 visa stamping / Travel to India on H4 before October 1st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B 2010 visa stamping / Travel to India on H4 before October 1st

I am currently on a H4 visa and am living in USA. My H1B visa application for 2010 (with COS) has been approved. The 2010 H1B visa is valid from October 1st 2009. I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me with a couple of questions that I have. I searched on the USCIS and US consulate website but didnt find any information on this.

Q1;
    I will be traveling to India in mid August. What is the earliest date I can visit the US consulate for getting the H1B visa stamp on my passport? Many people have told me differently on this!
    a) Any time while I am in India - say August 25th?
    b) 20 days before October 1st.
    c) 10 days before October 1st.
    d) Only after October 1st.

Q2
    If the answer to Q1 is either (a) or (b) or (c), when can I travel back to the USA? Can I travel back before October 1st? If yes, will I be on a H1B or H4 status till October 1st?

Thanks in advance!

I am currently on a H4 visa and am living in USA. My H1B visa application for 2010 (with COS) has been approved. The 2010 H1B visa is valid from October 1st 2009. I would greatly appreciate if anyone can help me with a couple of questions that I have. I searched on the USCIS and US consulate website but didnt find any information on this.

Q1;
    I will be traveling to India in mid August. What is the earliest date I can visit the US consulate for getting the H1B visa stamp on my passport? Many people have told me differently on this!

a) Any time while I am in India - say August 25th?

---- Yes, you can go for H1 visa interview by this date

b) 20 days before October 1st.
    c) 10 days before October 1st.
    d) Only after October 1st.

---- All these dates are fine depending on when you want to come to the US

Q2
    If the answer to Q1 is either (a) or (b) or (c), when can I travel back to the USA? Can I travel back before October 1st? If yes, will I be on a H1B or H4 status till October 1st?

---- Ideally it is 10 days before the start of your job on H1

---- If you enter US with your H1 visa and a I-94 at the POE for H1 then your status in the US will be H1. If you enter on H4 your status will be H4.

---- Of course if you want to join your job you should be entering the US on H1

Subramanya

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X