Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India Passport Renewal

Hi,
    I'm on H1 Visa and my current India passport is getting expired on Dec 23rd 2009.

I'm planning to go India by mid November (14 or 15).

My question is:

1. Can I renew my passport in India? Here there is a risk of delay for 2 months.

or

2. Can I renew passport at SFO Indian Consulate by mail (i'm near LA)?
    I heard, of there is any query they will hold the passport for 2 to 3 months. I need to travel to India in November due to family reasons.

Can some one advice, which is the best way?

Please help!

You should renew the passport here in US before your travel. There is a chance for your I-94 to be given based on your passport validity up on your return.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

I renewed my passport about 4 months ago @ the Indian consulate in SFO by mail. It took me 3 weeks to get my new passport. The renewal would get delayed only if you don't produce all the required documents. In which case they will send your passport and documents back and you need to get a new appointment and send the documents again. If you can, get an appointment and walk-in directly to submit all the required documents. It is easy to get the passport renewed in U.S rather than in India. It might take more time in India which would make you stay longer than you expected. However, there is a new Tatkal process in India that you can use to expediate the renewal which needs more supporting documents and money.

If you decide not to get it renewed in U.S, then you need to get it renewed before you travel back. If the validity of your passport is less than the visa expiry date, then you might get an I-94 only for the duration of your passport validity like txth1b mentioned below.
      Last edited by shervin143; 09-13-2009, 01:37 AM.
      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X