Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-94 date different than H1

Hello,
    My H1 is valid till sept 30, 2011, but my passpost is expiring in Mar of 2011. hence at the POE the officer gave me an I94 valid only till Mar 2011. does this mean I have leave the country after MAr 2011.
    I will renew my passport before that anyway, then what do i need to do as my I94 is not valid after mar 2011.
    Please let me know.
    Thanks
    Shekhar

Originally posted by shekharheart View Post
    Hello,
    My H1 is valid till sept 30, 2011, but my passpost is expiring in Mar of 2011. hence at the POE the officer gave me an I94 valid only till Mar 2011. does this mean I have leave the country after MAr 2011.
    I will renew my passport before that anyway, then what do i need to do as my I94 is not valid after mar 2011.
    Please let me know.
    Thanks
    Shekhar
    -- No problem, you can apply for your passport renewal, Genraly I-94 issued by POE sometimes upto applicant passport validity date, mostly POE issue I-94 based on I-797 and some POE issued I-94 based on Visa stamp validity.
    Don'tworry, if you have any query you can contact nearest Customs and Border Protection (CBP) office.

-- OMM.

Comment

Thank you OMM

Comment

As per my knowledge, the last issued I-94 takes precedence over everything. It doesn't really matter if you have a valid H1B visa past the I-94 expiry. If I-94 is expired that means your status ended with that date.

You can go to a local Immigration Office after you renew your passport and get an extended I-94 before the existing I-94 expires. Or, after you renew your passport, you can go out of U.S (Mexico/Canada) and come back with a new I-94. You can also apply for a H1b extension before your I-94 expiry and get a new approval notice with a new I-94 (if you don't want to go out of the country). The only problem is, if your extension gets denied, 6 months of your visa would go for waste (wouldn't do this if I were you).

Like OMM mentioned, check with your nearest Customs and Border Protection (CBP) office.
        Last edited by shervin143; 09-16-2009, 10:15 PM.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X