Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1-H4, visiting india

Hi,
    I filed for my change of status from h1 to h4. My I-539 is in initial review. My h4 effective date is from nov 7 2009,(as mentioned in I-539)

My doubt is, when my case in processing , can i go to India instead of waiting for 2-3 months to get my case approved.

If i can go, do i need to carry any documents.

Please clarify me.

Thank you.

Yes, you can travel. Your COS from H1 to H4 will get abandon. You will need to get your H4 stamped (If you don't already have a valid H4 visa) to re-enter U.S as a dependent.

Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you so much for your response.
      I came here on h4 visa in 2007. later i filed for h1 n started working since then.
      Now, i want to change my status again to h4. As mentioned in I-539, that my h4 effective date would be from nov 7 2009.
      So if i went to india
      - does my current cos application will be canceled
      - If i go to india, do i need to apply again for new h4

Thanks in advance.

Comment

>>>> If you travel outside the country while your COS is in progress, the COS would get abandon. But why do you care? If you already have a valid H4 visa, then re-enter U.S in H4. You would get a new I-94 valid till the expiration of the H1B petition of the primary applicant. If you don't already have a valid H4, then you need to get it stamped.

>>>> Not if you already have a valid H4 stamping in your passport. If not, then you need to go for H4 stamping to re-enter U.S in H4. Irrespective of whether the COS gets approved or not, you need a valid H4 to re-enter U.S as a dependent.

Originally posted by konasani View Post
        Thank you so much for your response.
        I came here on h4 visa in 2007. later i filed for h1 n started working since then.
        Now, i want to change my status again to h4. As mentioned in I-539, that my h4 effective date would be from nov 7 2009.
        So if i went to india

Thanks in advance.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X