Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel to India via London with expired H1B visa and valid I-797

Hello all,

My H1B Visa expired last year and currently I am staying in USA with extended I-797. I am planning for vacation this year end and also get my visa stamped in India. I have booked my tickets for British Airways via LA->London->India. In London I will arriving and departing from the same terminal. My concerns is, will there be any issues in transit as I dont have a valid H1B visa on my passport? I will be carrying my original extended I-797, visa stamping package and my pay slips etc..

Did anybody face any issues travelling via Europe with expired H1-B visa? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
    Khaland

You need a transit visa without which BA will not even issue you a boarding pass or let you check in.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

txh1b,

Thanks for quick reply.

Can I get transit visa on arrival or Do I need to get it here in USA before my travel? Is this the case only with BA or any flight travelling though Europe?

-Khaland

Comment

Hi Khaland,

You will be requiring a TRANSIT VISA , which is a must to travel via London.
        Approved I-797 , Paystubs will not work.
        So , if you have time - then you can apply for it.

It is now required for Frankfurt also (if you have expired Visa).
        Not required for Amsterdam , Belgium.

I mentioned in my earlier forums also that if anybody wants to go to India and want to avoid Transit Visa issues/or Stopover time/Flight change - then Continental Airlines is best as it is a ONLY (if my understanding is correct )direct flight from US (Newark) to India (New Delhi/Mumbai).
        There was a one from Delta from NewYork to Mumbai but now that is stopped.
        Also American Airlines - from Chicago to New Delhi- not sure its a direct now , I think it has a stopover at some location

Thanks and regards,
        Abhay
        Last edited by abhayg4; 11-12-2009, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Need to get H1B visa stamped,traveling to India via London (BA), need transit Visa?

Hi All,

I have a slightly similar case as Khalad.

I came to US on F1 Visa (expires in 2011)
          I was on OPT until July of this year. OPT expired 9/July/09.
          H1B visa approved. valid starting from 1/Oct/09

I am traveling to India via London in British Airways. Will I need a transit visa to go to India via London?

Please let me know.

Thanks
          DI

Comment

Hi, Can a Canadian citizen (travelling on a valid Canadian passport) but on an expired H1B visa travel through Schengen state from the USA to India? Thanks!

Comment

Pradeep

Hello,
              Can you share your experience??
              How did u travelled to india with expired us visa?

Comment

i have an expired f1 visa.
                And have valid i-797 without visa stamping.
                I do have a canadian student visa.

Now i am travelling from USA to India on indian passport. Do is still need a transit visa?

Cause this is what i have seen on British Consulate website
                Exemptions

You don’t need a visa if you have one of the following:

a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)

Comment

Please share your experience

Hi Khaland, Can you share your experience? I was in similar situation. Did you face any issues?

Originally posted by khaland View Post
                  Hello all,

My H1B Visa expired last year and currently I am staying in USA with extended I-797. I am planning for vacation this year end and also get my visa stamped in India. I have booked my tickets for British Airways via LA->London->India. In London I will arriving and departing from the same terminal. My concerns is, will there be any issues in transit as I dont have a valid H1B visa on my passport? I will be carrying my original extended I-797, visa stamping package and my pay slips etc..

Did anybody face any issues travelling via Europe with expired H1-B visa? Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
                  Khaland

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X