Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B stamping..going for India..please help

Hello all
    I finished my phD during 2007 and since then worked on OPT and now on H-1(my H-1 start date was on october 2008). I am going to india next month for H-1 stamping. I have following questions

1) My F-1 VISA expired in july 2007 but i was on OPT and later on H-1B. would this be any problem during stamping because i have been here on expired VISA for more than 2 years. Did anybody faced any problems in similar situation??

2) Also, how long does it take to get the VISA having phD from US and now working here. I heard that its taking time for phDs in lifesciences to get the VISA as there is prolonged (3-4 weeks) background check during H-1B VISA. Is this is true?? can anybody share their recent experience about this.

3) My passport will expire in march 2010 and i am planning to attend for stamping in jan 2010. Is that OK if attend with the old passport or should i apply for new passport and go for stamping with the new one. Would it be any problem if i attend for H-1B VISA interview with passport which will expire in less than six months.

If any body can help me or suggest me on the above issues it would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

1) My F-1 VISA expired in july 2007 but i was on OPT and later on H-1B. would this be any problem during stamping because i have been here on expired VISA for more than 2 years. Did anybody faced any problems in similar situation??
    >>>> Visa is just an entry document. As long as your I-94 is unexpired and you have maintained your status in U.S, you have nothing to worry about.

3) My passport will expire in march 2010 and i am planning to attend for stamping in jan 2010. Is that OK if attend with the old passport or should i apply for new passport and go for stamping with the new one. Would it be any problem if i attend for H-1B VISA interview with passport which will expire in less than six months.
    >>>> Not advisable. You might get the visa only for 3 months. Or they will ask you to renew your passport and apply again. Even if you get the visa for a longer period, you may get an I-94 only till the passport expiry date when you re-enter U.S. The best option is to renew the passport and then apply for the visa. It takes hardly 20 days if you renew it here in U.S.

/indian-passport-services-in-usa/
    Last edited by shervin143; 12-04-2009, 01:01 PM.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you very much for your quick reply

Comment

Can anybody share their view or their recent experiences on the following question.

2) Also, how long does it take to get the VISA having phD from US and now working here. I heard that its taking time for phDs in lifesciences to get the VISA as there is prolonged (3-4 weeks) background check during H-1B VISA. Is this is true?? can anybody share their recent experience about this.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

I have another question also...
          I came to this country on F-1. I have very bad credit history (as i accumulated lot of credit and my credit cards are in collections). Does this effect my H-1B stamping?? Can anybody help me with their suggestions on this issue also??
          I appreciate your comments.

Thanks in advance

Comment

No. It will not impact your H1 application.

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply

Comment

Any comments on following question?????

Can anybody share their view or their recent experiences on the following question.

how long does it take to get the VISA having phD from US and now working here. I heard that its taking time for phDs in lifesciences to get the VISA as there is prolonged (3-4 weeks) background check during H-1B VISA. Is this is true?? can anybody share their recent experience about this.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X