why social security taxes being on H1-B visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why social security taxes being on H1-B visa

Dear All : It sounds really contradictory to me that i am paying so much in Social Security taxes and medicare taxes being on H1-B visa.

H1-B visa is a temporary visa and i am not supposed to be permanent in USA and i do not understand why i have to pay so much on every paycheck each year.

Is there a way to avoid pay these taxes ?

Maybe is there a way to get back that tax money while going back to India ?

Please suggest.

As far as i know its like a stone thrown into the ocean. There is no way that you can get the SSA money back till you reach 65. few years back i read in some google forums that for certain treaty nations who also have similar SS benefits they will transfer it, But am not sure how reliable is this information.

Comment

So do we have to pay Social Security and medicare taxes till we retire ?

Comment

Yes.

Originally posted by bhaarathm View Post
        So do we have to pay Social Security and medicare taxes till we retire ?
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

If you earn 40 credits or more, then you can expect something in return after you retire. If you work for less than 10 years in the US, it is money that you are paying for someone else.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X