H1B - Education related Work Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B - Education related Work Experience

Hi, I have a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering and I have been working as a Software engineer for more than 2 years.

My company HR has informed me that they can't file H1B for me since I haven't got any education(Non-IT) related Work Experience(IT) and my degree is 'Non-conforming degree', which makes my case unsuitable till I get 4X3 = 12 years of experience i.e. 3 Years of work-ex for every year of Bachelor's education. At the same time they can't file for L1 as well because of same case.

Is it true that education should be related to work-ex? I am not sure they have right information of H1.. L1 it might be true.

Thanks,
    floydwa

Last edited by shervin143; 12-05-2009, 12:47 AM.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Definition of a specialty occupation is an occupation that requires a theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge, and the attainment of a bachelor's or higher degree in the specific specialty or its equivalent as a minimum for entry into the occupation.

Does this qualify as No for a Mechanical Engineer to work as Software Engineer? So we need an IT related degree to get H1B visa if we want to work as Software engineer in US?

Just wanted to ascertain that.. because that makes me unsuitable for H1B for next 9 years.

Comment

Does this qualify as No for a Mechanical Engineer to work as Software Engineer? So we need an IT related degree to get H1B visa if we want to work as Software engineer in US?

>>>> Not true. If you have the right experience in the field wih any Bachelor's degree, you can apply for H1B to work as a software engineer. Most employers do H1B for the non-IT background software engineers only after 3+ years of experience.
        Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X