H1B Renewal and Driving Licence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B Renewal and Driving Licence

My H1-B expires feb 10 2010. My problem is that my drivers license also expires in feb 10 2010. Is there any way that I can get this renewed with the receipt of my H1-B extension.
    I am from alabama state.

Please advise.
    Last edited by lizna; 01-14-2010, 03:01 AM.

No, DMV will need the approval notice in order to renew. At least most states require this.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

You should have applied for you extension at least 3-4 months in advance. If you don't want to wait another 2-3 months to renew your license, then the best option now is to go for the renewal with premium processing.
      Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Question Related to Driver's License Renewal

My previous h1b is valid for 3 years (until 2013) , then i got a job few months back in a different state but my new h1b is valid for 1 year only (2011). At this stage my current driver's license is expiring (registered with old state). Now, if i go to DMV with my current H1B document, then I might get a driver's license for a maximum 5 months (since my h1b expires in June, 2011). Now, if I take my old h1b , which is stlil valid until 2013, with the DMB be able to figure out i came with an old h1B ?

Comment

You can keep your old state license as much you can until you have not changed your vehicle insurance in new state and dont want to register your car in new state. IF insurance is changed then new registration is required. Also old state comes to know about cancellation of old policy and insurance provider will need your new license copy atleast in long run. so if you have any residence address and in old state, you can continue your old insurance and license and in any accident or cops caught situation , you can say you came in new state temporarily for work. but all that is short term solution, not long run. You can go like this till you get new H1B for longer period.

Comment

Reply to Lizna

It all depends on state to state. Few state renews based on receipt of your 797 petition. Few needs approved petition. You can get a letter from attorney who is going to file H1B. there is a legal wording which mentions, that a petitioner can work and stay in US for 240 days after filling application. Its not garauntee that DMV will give but its worth of a try. For me in PA I got based on my receipt notice. All this also depends on county to county and different DMV offices. I couldnt get it in my county then I have to go other county. Same happens with my friend in NJ. Depends how DMV staff takes the case and how much knowledge they got in such cases.

Comment

DMV in PA?

Hi Chander,

can you please let me know which DMV you got the DL renewed based on receipt. I am in a similar soup in PA

Comment

H1B Renewal Driver License in Texas

I want to share my experience. I am a H1B visa holder. The company where I work sent the documents to renew my visa for 3 more years. At the moment that my driver license (DL) expired the status of my case was "received" it means that no decision had been made so far and I did not have any # to verify my Lawful Presence so I could not renew my DL. I went to Garland to this office: 350 W Interstate 30, Garland, TX 75043. They asked me for documents and I said: I only have a paper that states my documents were received. They submitted a request to Homeland Security and told me go home and come back when you receive a letter from them. I was skeptical about it since it was more than a month before my visa and DL will expire. I received a letter in less than a week saying my Lawful Presence was verified and I could renew my DL. The letter did not have any date, but I went back to this office and they told me Homeland Security Office had approved a temporary DL for almost a year.

Hope this information might be useful to some of you.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X