Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-1B Query

Hi all ...

I was employed in a company in July 09 and they had applied for my H-1B which was approved but for some reason, I had to resign and cancel my H-1B in September. Since I had just graduated, I went back to OPT and am currently working for an employer on OPT.

I wanted to know if now I need to apply for H-1B, do I have to do that in April under the H-1B quota ?? One of my friend told me that since my previous H-1B was approved and revoked later, I can apply for my H-1B anytime and need not apply in April.

I wanted to know if this is true. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That is correct. Any employer can apply for a new H1B petition on your behalf using the existing CAP. So no need to wait till April. However, you will need a copy of the previous H1B approval notice (or atleast the receipt number) to prove that you are already CAP counted.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, but am not sure if i have the approval doc. I definately have the document that says the H-1B was cancelled. Will that work ?

Comment

You need the receipt number from the approval notice to prove that you are CAP counted.

Originally posted by rythmic1256 View Post
        Thanks for the reply, but am not sure if i have the approval doc. I definately have the document that says the H-1B was cancelled. Will that work ?

Comment

You would need the approval notice. Receipt number alone might not help

Comment

This is not true. If you are 100% sure that the receipt number belongs to you, then you are all good.

Originally posted by juniorbansal View Post
            You would need the approval notice. Receipt number alone might not help

Comment

Hi,

For any H1 application (New/Extension/renewal etc....)- In the main application - you just need to fill the RECEIPT NUMBER of any previously filed application/petition
              So when the complete package is sent to USCIS - employer/attroney generally attach the photcopy of the complete approval notice also as a Supporting document/proof.

So , it is not MANDATORY to have the complete approval notice for filing the application- but it is good to have

Thanks and Regards,
              Abhay

Comment

Thanks a lot guys ... that really helps.

Had one more question though

For how long will i be able to hole this H-1B number that I have.
                I had got it approved in June 2009 .... can I hold it till October 2011 .. (this is when my OPT will be over ... the extended opt)

Comment

Until the petition expiry date.

Comment

What did u mean by petition date ??

where can I find it ?

Comment

Check your H1B approval notice. There should be a valid till date.

Originally posted by rythmic1256 View Post
                      What did u mean by petition date ??

where can I find it ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X