New H1b from exempt employer at the end of 6th year H1b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New H1b from exempt employer at the end of 6th year H1b

My 6th year of H1b expires in November 2019 - I have an offer from a medical research organization that is affiliated to a university and is an exempt employer , can I get a new H1B even if my 6th year expires in November

No. You have 6 yrs. in total and that's it,unless you have an approved I140.
    Just an opinion; Not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bharat1991 View Post
      My 6th year of H1b expires in November 2019 - I have an offer from a medical research organization that is affiliated to a university and is an exempt employer , can I get a new H1B even if my 6th year expires in November
      No. The employer is cap-exempt. That doesn't entail that you are exempt from 6 year rule.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Can employer apply for H1 in April 2020 considering my current visa expires in oct 2019

Comment

Only, if at the time of application you have been outside the US for atleast 1 yr (if you have exhausted your 6yrs and want to start a fresh cycle of 6yrs). The key is at the time of application i.e., you should have left the US before April 2019.

Comment

Sorry if this is an invalid question. if I have an approved I140 after I leave the states I may be eligible to re apply earlier ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bharat1991 View Post
              Sorry if this is an invalid question. if I have an approved I140 after I leave the states I may be eligible to re apply earlier ?
              If you have any of your allotted 6 yrs. still left, yes you can apply for an extension beyond 6 yrs. using the approved I140.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X