Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 STEM OPT to H4 & H4EAD with Upcoming travel plans in 6 months

Hello,

First would like to thank you for reading and providing help.

Currently on Stem OPT, I am planning to apply for H4 + H4EAD in the same package with a future start date of 20th Feb'20. Since this date is well in the future, my initial understanding was I can wait for this to be approved well in advance to my start date. We have an upcoming travel in Jan'20 outside the USA. It was brought to my attention we may run into the risk of still having the H4 application in pending and abandon my application by traveling outside the country. My questions,

1. Is there any solution to this? Will a cover letter included in the application help in any way to speed things up or inform them of the travel to prevent application from being abandoned.
    2. Can H4 application be withdrawn say by December and I can go for stamping in US consulate outside USA to get it stamped and then travel back to apply for EAD with possible 3 months of unemployment?
    3. Should be avoid all the hassle by joining a course that allows day 1 CPT. How will this impact future H1B or H4 and GC application?

My options as I understand:
    1. Apply for H4 and H4 EAD. Wait for the receipt which tells me which center it has been received. If vermont, withdraw the application. Apply for CPT and travel outside USA. Return back and apply for H4 COS and H4 EAD
    2. Apply for H4 now by traveling outside USA to a consulate but risk the unemployment period. Yet to speak to my employer if they will be ok with possible 3 months of gap. (Side question, does it take more than 3 months for EAD? )
    3. Travel outside USA in Jan and get it stamped and prep for a new job if the current job do not allow for a gap.

Anyone living in this world with the same dilemma or lawyers, please help.

Thanks,
    Ro.

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X