Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 221g blue slip for H1B visa stamping at US Embassy in Ottawa,Canada

Hello Everyone,

I went to US Embassy in Ottawa, Canada on Tuesday (12/10/2019) for my H1B Visa Interview. After asking few questions,Visa Officer kept my passport and gave me a 221G blue slip and told me to expect an email later today for additional information. Later in that day, I received a Supplemental Questionnaire from Consulate asking me for my last 15 years of detailed information.

There's been no update on my case status so far. It's been more than week now and I have been staying in a hotel in Ottawa, Canada.

Questions:
    • How long does it generally take to hear back in scenario where 15 years of past information is requested by US Embassy?
    • Would it be OK if I request the embassy to return my passport so that I can travel back to India and wait there while the Administrative processing continues or would this delay the processing time further?

Please advice.

Note:
    • I-140 already Approved, this is my 3rd term of H1B.
    • I am a full time employee (No Client/Vendor).
    • I am in Canada on a visit visa.

It’s part of extreme vetting introduced in 2017/18. The questionnaire via email corresponds to DS 5535, which is a supplementary background check. Your info has to be cleared by different agencies in DC and it takes time. What triggers this ? Some specific type of work (AI, chemical, biotech..), common names, travel to certain countries, any match with various databases of agencies, being vegan, Patriots fans, sleeping on your left...no one really knows other than that it is based on some data analytics.
    ETA can be 2 months to 2 years. How do I know? My spouses visa got approved in London (she was visiting for work), but she received an email after the interview requesting this 15 year info. Passport has now been returned with the case in admin processing. Same boat. It is her 5th renewal. She works as a director in a top management consulting firm.
    Last edited by Visadelay; 12-19-2019, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Visadelay View Post
      It’s part of extreme vetting introduced in 2017/18. The questionnaire via email corresponds to DS 5535, which is a supplementary background check. Your info has to be cleared by different agencies in DC and it takes time. What triggers this ? Some specific type of work (AI, chemical, biotech..), common names, travel to certain countries, any match with various databases of agencies, being vegan, Patriots fans, sleeping on your left...no one really knows other than that it is based on some data analytics.
      ETA can be 2 months to 2 years. How do I know? My spouses visa got approved in London (she was visiting for work), but she received an email after the interview requesting this 15 year info. Passport has now been returned with the case in admin processing. Same boat. It is her 5th renewal. She works as a director in a top management consulting firm.
      Thanks for your response. Could you also please respond to my below questions:

Is your spouses's visa already approved? or is it still under administrative processing?
      For how long was/is the case under administrative processing?
      How long did the US Embassy take to return the passport while the case was in administrative processing?
      Did you request the passport to be returned or was it returned by the Embassy on their own?

Comment

Is your spouses's visa already approved? or is it still under administrative processing?

verbally approved by VO. we were waiting for passport with the stamping. Instead, received an email with questionnaire and the case went into admin proceeding. Passport was subsequently returned stating processing could take several weeks, and we will need to resubmit if things are cleared.

For how long was/is the case under administrative processing?

2 weeks now.

How long did the US Embassy take to return the passport while the case was in administrative processing?

Within 3 business days of interview.

Did you request the passport to be returned or was it returned by the Embassy on their own?

returned by embassy.

Comment

Any updates on your side ?

Comment

Originally posted by Visadelay View Post
            Any updates on your side ?
            No, case is still in administrative processing.
            Any update on your case?

Comment

Originally posted by alimo_221G_ottawa View Post

No, case is still in administrative processing.
              Any update on your case?
              Hi, do you have any updates?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X