Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing an offer letter before getting an approval notice

Hi Friends:

What if i sign an offer letter before i get the approval notice on my H1B transfer.

Actually the company has just filed my H1B petition......

I don't want to take up the offer for some reasons which i am not comfortable with them.....when shall i reject the offer.....

What if they don't give me the RECEIPT NUMBER and APPROVAL NOTICE information.

I am delibrately in need of help.Immediate reply is appreciated.

Thanks,

What exactly is your question? Signing an offer letter has nothing to do with the H1B approval. Why would an employer give you the approval notice if you are not joining them? Is this a new H1B or a transfer or a COS?
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Hi,

It is a COS from H4.

What i mean is "IS IT MANDATORY TO TAKE UP A JOB IF SOMEONE SIGNS AN OFFER LETTER"

If i sign the offer letter and get the approval notice from the employer and then don't take up the job....what will happen???

Since the petition has already been filed, if i reject the offer at this point (without the receipt number or approval notice) how can i put myself back to H4, as the COS in under process.....

Thank you for the response.

Comment

Dear Shervin/any senior members:

Any response would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

It is a COS from H4.

What i mean is "IS IT MANDATORY TO TAKE UP A JOB IF SOMEONE SIGNS AN OFFER LETTER"
          >>> No. Employment is at will basis. No one can force you to work for a company.

If i sign the offer letter and get the approval notice from the employer and then don't take up the job....what will happen???
          >>> Nothing. The employer would loose the money that they spent on your petition.

Since the petition has already been filed, if i reject the offer at this point (without the receipt number or approval notice) how can i put myself back to H4, as the COS in under process.....
          >>> If this is your first time H1B, then the effective COS will be from Oct 1st (assuming the petition gets approved). All that you need to do is to go out of the country before Oct 1st and re-enter again in H4 after Oct 1st, which will put you in H4 status. Alternatively, you can apply for H4 again by the end of september.

The only problem is, if your employer has requested a start date beyond Oct 1st. You need to know when exactly your COS is effective to get back to H4. Otherwise your would go out of status on H1B.
          Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X