Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H1-B 221 (g) Pending: Pressing Questions? Needs Urgent Advice/ Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1-B 221 (g) Pending: Pressing Questions? Needs Urgent Advice/ Help!

Dear All,

I read lot of posting on this and other forum about the H1B 221 (g) pending. However, it seems my case stands different!

I appeared for H1-B visa interview at Mumbai in the first week of May 2010. The consular officer (co) asked me what am I going to do in US, I explained my work type. Then she asked me if I had applied for a visa earlier to this at the mumbai consulate, I said yes but that was for a different category, now I am applying for h1b as my work continues beyond the permit allowed for my previous visa category. Again the CO asked me what am I going to do in US, this she asked for atleast 3 times. My answer was always standard and precise. Then the CO told me that there could be many people with name like mine, I affirmed and replied that its a very common name in India for which the CO smiled. She was continuously typing on her computer. Later she gave me a Yellow letter with 221 (g) Pending and asked to fill out some form and send by e-mail. The CO did put her initials at the bottom of this yellow letter.

How my case is different than most who have discussed this?
    Others have mentioned that for their 221 (g) Pending letter they received a Case Number that could be traced online. However, in my case I am not given any case number! thats the difference!!

I did followed their instructions and submitted all the required forms and supporting documents by e-mail. For which first I got an automated reply that the email is received and later almost after one week I got another email informing that my e-mail was read by the Consulate/ Embassy (again automated response).

I am just wondering if someone had been into the similar (different) situation as mine and if they could share their experience!
    Also, how much time it takes (very standard question!) however, I am still on the payroll from my US employer moreover, I have everything left behind in US in case this goes negative.

Looking for your earliest advice and any information you could provide.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Arani

I also got the same form without any tracking number. I emailed my docs on 19th may and got an automated response, haven't heard anything after that.

i will keep u updated if anything happens. it wud be gud to know ur experience too, that will help us know the process better.

Comment

@dravi99: Thanks, I had sent them the e-mail with 'read receipt' acknowledgment. I got another e-mail almost after a week of sending my documents that says, 'your e-mail has been read on this date,' this indicates the rush they have! Let's keep each-other informed in this regard.

Comment

221g on March 24, 2010 at Mumbai Yellow Form

Hello,

Thought I would share my experience since the timeline is similar to that of you two:

First H1-B stamping. Had a prior F-1 stamping in 2000.

Consulate officer asked for the "pink token", followed by two questions:
        CO: "What's your purpose for visiting the US"
        Me: To resume my position as a blah blah blah

CO: What does your organization do (a university department)
        Me: blah blah blah

CO: Well you definitely qualify technically for this visa but we need a little more information from you. (Hands me a yellow 221g form, asking for CV, an offer letter and the technical qualifications questionnarie). Once we get this information, you will get an email asking you to submit the passport and you will get it back with the visa on it.

CO: Your organization is probably aware of the fact that we have to do this.

Me: Thanked her.

I sent an email with all the information on May 25, 2010. Got an automated response telling me that "Their processing time may be upward of 6 weeks, although every case is different". I have not received any communication after that.

I will keep on updating as the event occur.

Comment

221 g yellow form: no news yet

I submitted my CV, offer letter and questionairre on 19th May and still haven't heard anything. I got the same reply...processing will take 6 weeks onwards. Does anyone know if there is any way to follow up on this processing?

Comment

to dravi99: Contact the Department of State

dravi99: The department of state can be contacted at 202-663-1225 during business hours from monday to friday. Have available your passport number and your I-129 so they can locate your case.

Although they won't tell you much, you can at least know if
            1. Your documents have been sent to the DoS for processing
            2. Whether the DoS is still holding your case pending or has it been cleared at that level.

I intend to start doing this one week from now since it has been only 5 business days since I sent my documents.

Comment

H-1B visa stamping: Yellow form: Mumbai

We (me and my wife) were interviewed for 2 different H-1B visa @ Mumbai..
              Interviewed on 6th May 2010
              Documents submitted on 6th May 2010 (CV, ans to question set, employment verification letter).
              Got automatic reply on the same day which mentiond about tentative timeline is about 6 weeks and beyond.

We both work in the US (non profit organization, University) and have been on this visa more than 1 .5 yrs...

Have been waiting for any replies (or any indication) from the consulate.
              Sent another inquiry email: and got the same automatic email.
              Went to the public information window at the consulate to check (9 to 11.30 am, M-F), didnt get any information. Consulate person gave very vague answer...Kabhi bhi ayega..(you'll hear from consulate anytime)..How much time ? his ans: not sure.

I have changed my flight tickets 2 times now.

Its frustrating to see that, in this 21st century, we even dont have any information how much more time do they need to check your documents.

Its been almost 30 days...
              Vivek

Comment

Thanks all for sharing your experiences and the numbers of DoS.
                Here is what we must all know:

1. As per the consulate's site (that opens when we go the site mentioned in that yellow form), it clearly mentions, '.....may take up to 60 working days...'

2. I also work at non-profit organization (university), had a J1 stamped earlier, was in the US for 4 years. Still got this. The VO told that my name is very common and there might be 10-11 people with my name, I replied may be more! And got the yellow pages!!

3. I consulted the ISS adviser and got the advice that meant, 'its in a black box and there is no way to track it unless you hear something through e-mail.'

4. The DoS number given here may be a good idea though, I doubt if it will really reveal anything of relevance. Still Good Luck!

5. I did not book my travel ticket before my interview as this is not a binding on VO to issue you visa as the ticket costs $. Rather a statement like, 'since ticket costs $, I have not booked my tickets and intend to do so as soon as I get my visa' is a better justification to VO in case asked for travel arrangements which, is generally asked in case one is applying for tourist visa where they want to see a confirmed return ticket, hotel reservation, etc.

This is the most frustrating phase when after having been to US, working on the same project/ job, we are all held here just because our names are similar or may be our resume has something that may raise concern.

Whats more frustrating in this entire process is, its happening after the I-129 petition is approved and you go to an interview for stamping and they put this procedure in between. Why can't they do this a-priori?

I think that blaming it on 21st century is not justified as, this new century brought in 'terrorism' and that brings any nation to strengthen their security measure. We don't know how is it when a foreigner, like us, applies for a worker visa to India! If you, do share it here.

If you all are still in Mumbai, may be we can meet up sometime to vent off!

Good Luck and Happy Waiting and hope that we all fly together!

Comment

H1B still pending

Thanks all for ur updates. i submitted my docs on 19th May, haven't heard anything yet. I saw couple of postings on ******** which are similar cases and they were resolved in 16 days.

I have pasted the link above. But is seems since each case is different, the timing will vary...

will keep everyone updated...all the best...

Comment

No News so far!

When you count then count the WORKING DAYS on which US Consulate is open. That means discard any day on which there is US and Indian Govt. Holidays. As usual, I am sure you are not counting Saturday and Sunday!

Refer this link for the list of Indian/American Holidays: https://www.immihelp.com/us-immigrat...-holidays.html

Do update here whenever you guys here anything about your case. Do mentioned as Visa interview date and when you heard and when you got your visa and when you flew to US....

Desperate for my visa.................!

Comment

Hey folks, I see that the processing of your H-1B is getting delayed. Did any of you guys had our passport renewed in the US? If so, did you check whether the name is exactly as in the old passport? i.e. no change in the order of names, spellings etc. I renewed my passport from CGI Houston, and they have attached my father's name to my last name, so the order of name is messed up even though the spellings are correct. I was told by the law officials that this will become a problem when I go to India for stamping H1-B. Just wondering if anyone of you guys is facing delay probably because of this reason. Thanks for your time.

Comment

@mclaxman:
                        I got mine renewed at US. Nothing was different. However, there was one honest mistake while making appointment for the visa interview. For the question about Date of Previous Entry into US, I had mistakenly mentioned November for December. I did contacted VFS and told them about this mistake almost 1 week after the interview and submission of 221(g) documents. The VFS personnel told that it should not matter much so I am keeping cool now.

However, I don't know what are the actual causes of the delay? Though, so far none of us seems to have to heard anything back from consulate!

arani

Comment

status update - no good news yet

Hey guys, just updating. No good news yet.

Interview date: May 24 - Mumbai.
                          Documents sent: May 25
                          Visa type: H1-B. 221g (yellow); docs: CV, questionnaire, offer letter.
                          Received automated response to e-mail. No communication after that.

Comment

H1B pending

Hello All,

No news yet.
                            Interview date : 18th May 2010
                            Documents sent: 19 th May 2010

No communication from the consulate.

All the best to everyone.
                            Keep up ur hopes!

Comment

H-1B visa: no news yet after 5 weeks

Interview date: 6th May 2010: received yellow form 221(g) : US Consulate, Mumbai
                              Documents submitted: 6th May 2010: received automatic email from the US consulate

No news.
                              5th week.

Total working days 24

Vivek
                              Last edited by vivek_mutalik; 06-11-2010, 08:11 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X