Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-1B Furlough- 60 day grace period started on April 6

Hello,

I'm currently on H-1B visa and I was furloughed on April 6th, 2020. I'm still waiting to get back to work but when I spoke to my employer's immigration manager they said my unemployment days have started but there is no clear return to work date. I'm a bit worried if I will not be put back to work before the 60 day unemployment period I will be out of status.

Could you please help me what would be my ideal step to stay in the US without going out of status.

Thank you.

Companies are required to pay H1B employees at all times. Only exception is when the employee requests a leave of absence to care for a family member / other pressing issues.
    "Furloughs" are no exception. They must pay you or make you take accrued / paid vacation.

In your case, 60 days started on April 06th since this is a typical furlough with no time off. Reach out to the immigration manager and see if they will let you take voluntary leave of absence for the next 45-60 days. If they say yes, then send an email and they should reply to it with their consent.
    Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X