Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use approved CP H1B to transfer to a new employer

Hi all,

I am on L1 currently. I got H1B approved last year with Consular Processing. I am facing a layoff now, so I have a few questions:
    1. Can I use the approved H1 to find and transfer to a new explorer? I haven't gone through a consulate to get it stamped.
      1. The status on my i797 is approval notice, valid from 10/01/2019 to 09/01/2021, consulate: somewhere.
    2. If the first one is impossible? any recommendation?
    3. If I get laid off, how can I stay in the US with my current I94?
    Thanks
    Last edited by tangyunl; 06-10-2020, 07:45 PM.

1. Yes. However you need to find a new employer and they need to file / transfer within 60 days of you losing your job. In this case, as soon as you receive the notice of filing, you may begin employment.
    If you file a transfer after 60 days, then you need to wait for the approval notice before starting work.
    Premium Processing has resumed which expedite the decision process to 2 weeks.

2. Not needed in your case as option 1 exists

3. Technically you need to find another job and transfer asap.
    Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R78 View Post
      1. Yes. However you need to find a new employer and they need to file / transfer within 60 days of you losing your job. In this case, as soon as you receive the notice of filing, you may begin employment.
      If you file a transfer after 60 days, then you need to wait for the approval notice before starting work.
      Premium Processing has resumed which expedite the decision process to 2 weeks.

2. Not needed in your case as option 1 exists

3. Technically you need to find another job and transfer asap.
      Thanks for your response. I want to clarify one thing that I haven't gone through a consulate to get H1B stamped. In this case, can I still find a new employer to transfer my H1B?

Comment

Yes
        Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R78 View Post
          Yes
          I just want to confirm again. Since I never got it stamped, the H1B is not activated. Can this still transfer to a new employer? Thanks in advance.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X