Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arrest records: apply for DHS Trip to avoid secondary inspection at port of entry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrest records: apply for DHS Trip to avoid secondary inspection at port of entry

Hi,
    With arrest records but dismissed cases I understand that for the rest of my life I will have to go through secondary inspection on entering the US. Is there a way for a person with arrest records to avoid secondary inspection by applying for DHS Trip Redress number? If anybody has tried it please let me know your experience at port of entry after being assigned Redress number.

Thanks!!

Originally posted by rohan221 View Post
    Hi,
    With arrest records but dismissed cases I understand that for the rest of my life I will have to go through secondary inspection on entering the US.
    >>> Only till you become a citizen since its in the immigration databases.
    Once you hold a US passport, immigration only scans that document. Outstanding arrests or issues are the only ones flagged at that time.

Is there a way for a person with arrest records to avoid secondary inspection by applying for DHS Trip Redress number? If anybody has tried it please let me know your experience at port of entry after being assigned Redress number.
    >>> Redress number is mainly used for mistaken identities. If your name / dob / sex matches with someone who is a high risk, then you'll get flagged for secondary. In such cases, you are subject to additional inspections.
    In your case, a redress number may only provide a very slight reprieve.
    Depending on the CBP officer, they will pull you into secondary (since they do not have much time at the immigration counter to process people & the issue will continue to show up in NIV,IV / GC databases).

Thanks!!
    Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thanks R78!! Let's say I settle in Canada on Canada PR. Then, on entering Canada from any non-US country, will I be sent for secondary inspection always? The reason I ask is because I have heard that at the port of entry(airport/land border) Canada, they look for both US and Canada databases.

Comment

Canada will have its own rules that deem a person inadmissible for entry. If you've already received a waiver, then you should be covered.
        Canada and US share databases on crimes. Many people with a recent DUI are deemed inadmissible into Canada and need a waiver.

Comment

But if somebody has arrest record with dismissal in US, will that person still need a waiver to enter Canada?

Comment

Depends on the crime. You need to provide more details.

Comment

got you. no worries. thanks so much R78!!

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X