Re first time entrance on H1-B for me an my family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re first time entrance on H1-B for me an my family

I hear that I won't be able to enter the US on my H1-B until around the 21th Sep at the earliest (I will be able to work from 1 Oct). My wife and kids will get a H4. Is it a problem for us to travel to the US on a tourist/business visa (I have one valid for 10 years) before the 21 Sep? Could a potential travel before that travel put risk to my H1-B? I have lots of preparations to do regarding housing, schools for the kids etc, so it's really difficult for us if we can't enter until 21 September.

You can come, but you can't work on B2.
    If you're coming on B1, have proper documentation/proof that you're going on business trip.

You can't use your H1 though.
    You've to leave US and enter on H1 again to use H1.

Comment

Thanks - another follow up question related to the same issue

Thanks for your reply. The reason why I'm asking is that the school will start for two of my kids in early September. According to my US lawyer I can't enter on my H1-B (if I receive one) until 21 September. Could I go to the US late in August on my B1/B2 Visa, enroll my kids in the school (I will have the ownership or a lease contract on a home at that stage), stay there till the weekend before 21 September, and then make a re-entry on my H1-B? If it's not possible for me as the H1-B holder, could my wife (that will receive an H-4) do it?

Comment

H4 is not valid when spouse is not on H1.

Comment

But can I enter on B1/B2 in late August with my two kids (both are visa waivers) that will start school in early September (when the H1-B is also printed in my passport) and later re-enter with the rest of my family 21 September on the H1-B and H-4s? I'm affraid that me and my kids will be rejected at port since I'm not allowed to enter on my H1-B visa until 21 September - despite having a B1/B2 (and my kids on visa waivers).

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X