Working from India during Covid-19 travel restrictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working from India during Covid-19 travel restrictions

Hello - I am writing to get some answers to my current situation. My wife and I with two children traveled to India in March. My wife and I are in H-1B visa with valid stamp. We are fortunate that our employers allowed us to work from India while were stuck during this pandemic and drawing salaries as usual (i.e., deposited in our bank accounts in US). However, I was talking to some of my friends and they mentioned that my current work arrangement may get us into trouble both immigration wise and taxation wise. I also was told that after six months of staying in India, we are liable to pay taxes in India as well. Please provide any guidance on the best course of action for my situation. Is it absolutely necessary to travel before six months of stay in India?

They should start paying you in local currency in your Indian bank account.
    Paying into your US bank accounts should have only been a temporary arrangement (3-4 months max)
    Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. It will be an interesting conversation with my employer to say the least.????

Comment

It's not very common, but not uncommon either. Done mostly for those who get stuck for 3-4 months with a 221g.
        It's a payroll hassle to continue remitting in funds into your US account, when in fact you are a non-immigrant and are not working in the US currently.

You only pay Indian taxes for the time your payroll was directly deposited into your indian bank account. A good CPA will be able to help
        Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

logik6 Curious if there were any further developments ? Could please share the latest updates? What did you end up doing ?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X