Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding masters degree qualification for H1B

Hi,

I am on H1B VISA and am changing job with in USA and applied for H1B transfer. I recently completed a Masters degree in USA (part time while i was still working full time on H1B) based on which I am hired for the new Job.
    I am being told that the Master's degree is not relevant for H1B and no job duties that requires my Master' Degree skills should be added in the JOB description. I find it very absurd. it is hard for me to believe it is true but just want to know from the experts here.

Another question is related to my Bachelors degree. I have bachelor's degree in electrical and electronics but i have been on H1B working in IT area for more than 10 years. Now i am told all the new job duties must be related to electrical engineering. Again, this is hard to believe. The new job offer is based on by engineering degree and IT skill set and my masters degree. But, VISA team is telling not to add Masters degree skills (saying it is not relevant) and asking all new job duties must be of electrical engineering discipline.

I appreciate any comments and help with latest updates in these matters.

It's not what you have earned, but what the job requires. You don't make that call, the company / HR does.
    For H1 & Greencard, companies / attornies will go by the MINIMUM job requirements. So, if they say the minimum requirement is a Bachelor's degree, then that's what should be advertised for for the job and greencard.

Ask yourself this simple question: Will the company hire a US citizen / Permanent Resident with a Bachelor's degree ? If yes, that's the minimum they will accept.
    Now, if a candidate has a masters and 20 yrs of experience, all the better.
    Companies look at the best fit in terms of education / experience and salary when making these decisions
    Opinion only. Cannot be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X