Business travel prior to H1-stamping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Business travel prior to H1-stamping

My current H1B expires next month. I have received my I-797 for H1B extension (3 years). I have work-related international travel coming up soon. Can I do a work-related trip to country-X and then go to home country for visa stamp? if I do this, are there any known issues at the US-consulate (during H1 stamp) or US port-of-entry ??

Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    -Dielectric

PS: Getting a business-visit visa to country-X with only I797 status may also be difficult - but that's a whole another issue.

I don't see a problem in what you plan on doing. You want to go to a third country on a business trip and then go to your home country for the visa. That is perfectly fine.

If the third country that your business travel is for can process a TCN for a visa, you can even try there for the H1b extension visa.

Make sure you look into any transit visa needs for the country as your visa has expired.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

thanks txh1b.
      if i do my H1-renewal-stamp in third country, can my spouse (who will not travel with me to the third country) get the H4-renewal done separately in home country?

Comment

if i do my H1-renewal-stamp in third country, can my spouse (who will not travel with me to the third country) get the H4-renewal done separately in home country?

---- Yes, all you have to do is provide your I-797 to your spouse and other documentation as recommended by the website of the relevant US Consulate

Subramanya

Comment

Thank you all for your earlier help.

I decided to play it "safe" and came to India (instead of a third country) and applied for H1-renewal (mumbai). But the consulate put me on 221g admin processing for Tech clearance. It has been 6 weeks now and no word from them.

I am currently working from home. My company now wants to send me on a work trip to another country (if possible). I'd ofcourse return to India after the trip. Are there any problems/risks if I do that? I have my passport with me.

Thanks,
          -D

Comment

No issues.

Originally posted by Dielectric View Post
            I am currently working from home. My company now wants to send me on a work trip to another country (if possible). I'd ofcourse return to India after the trip. Are there any problems/risks if I do that? I have my passport with me.

Thanks,
            -D
            Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X