Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switch employer (waiting for PERM's approval + H1B 1 yr extension expires in 9 mo)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch employer (waiting for PERM's approval + H1B 1 yr extension expires in 9 mo)

Hi, I'd like to get some feedback on my visa situation.
    • I'm currently on a H-1B visa. It got extended beyond its 6 years limit (originally January 2021) so now it expires in 1/15/2022.
    • My current employer's lawyers filed the PERM application in late October 2020. We haven't heard back yet. If it's approved, then they'll file the I-140 petition.
    • In parallel, I'm also part of my wife's green card application as a dependent. Her status is in a more advanced step as they filed the I-485 in October 2020.
    That's for the context.

Knowing that, my question is, let's say I were to switch employer in the next couple of months, what options do I have to make that happen timing wise (knowing that my H-1B expires in 9 months)?

For example, if the new employer is willing to sponsor my green card, could they hire me first as a H1B, start the green card process again which could help extend my H-1B status for another 1 year past January 2022? And if so, is there a timing to respect before this scenario is not feasible?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,
    You will have a below options.
    1. Stick with current Employer. File I-140 with same Employer and wait for 180 days after your I-140 Approved.. Later you can transfer your H1B with any Employer and you will be eligible for getting H1B Approved with 3 years with the help of I140 Approved.

If you transfer your H1B now, I don't really think, you will get your I-140 approved before your 6th year complete as you have very limited days to meet 6th year.
    Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X