Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get a new I94 while staying in the USA

Hello

I just got my H1B extension approved from anther employer and have got my new 797 along with I-94.

How can I apply for the I-94 for my dependents? They are with my in the USA right now. The old I-94 will expire in Sep 2010. Can I apply for their I-94 via mail, if yes, then how much the fee would be? I am a Canadian citizen and normally we can get I-94 upon border crossing without paying a fee. I don’t want to travel all the way to Canada just to get I-94 for my families. Instead, I like to get their I-90 through mail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Freebyte

You need to file form I-539 for extending the status of your depends. I-539 can be filed 6 months in advance of their current I-94 expiry date.

https:///us-visa-and-immigration-for...ant-status.jsp
    Step-by-step instructions: https://www.immihelp.com/sample-inst...visitors-visa/
    http://www.immihelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68498
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you very much for your help

Comment

One more related question about I-94

Hello

I can fill I-94 for my spouse and children but got a little confused when saw the form I-539. Do I need to put my information on the form as well or only information about my family is required. Furthermore, why I have to pay a fee of $300? In past I got I-94's over the Canadian border crossing for a nominal feel (around $6 per person).
        Please help.
        Thanks

Comment

I can fill I-94 for my spouse and children but got a little confused when saw the form I-539. Do I need to put my information on the form as well or only information about my family is required.
          >>> Read the instructions to file I-539 here.
          https://www.immihelp.com/sample-inst...visitors-visa/

Furthermore, why I have to pay a fee of $300? In past I got I-94's over the Canadian border crossing for a nominal feel (around $6 per person).
          >>> That is the fee for extending the status from within the country. If you don't want to pay it, then you will have to exit the country (Make sure you return the existing I-94 when you have. Because, for shorter duration, they won't take your I-94 when you exit to Canada/Mexico. If you don't return the I-94 upon your exit, then the trip will be of no use.) and return back with a valid visa and valid petition of the primary H1B holder and you will get a new I-94.

Comment

Furthermore, I don't understand why there should be a fee for entering the US ($6?). Never heard of it.
            This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba View Post
              Furthermore, I don't understand why there should be a fee for entering the US ($6?). Never heard of it.
              There is always the fee of $6 for issuance of I-94. For arrivals by air, it is collected directly by the airline included with the ticket. For people entering by land, it is collected by CBP at POE.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Oh, didn't know that.
                This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by txh1b View Post
                  There is always the fee of $6 for issuance of I-94. For arrivals by air, it is collected directly by the airline included with the ticket. For people entering by land, it is collected by CBP at POE.

Comment

Yes, if you look at the breakup of the tax codes by airlines in detail, you will see the charge.

Passenger Facility Charge XF
                    APHIS User Fee - Passengers XA
                    Customs User Fee YC
                    Flight Segment Tax (Domestic) ZP
                    Immigration User Fee XY
                    Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee (Dom) AY
                    Passenger Civil Aviation Security Service Fee (Intl) AY
                    Transportation Tax (Domestic) US
                    Transportation Tax (International) - Arrival/Departure US

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X