Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Change when H1B extension pending

Hello,

My H1B I-797 has expired on Sept 28th and I-94 will expire on Oct-7th. I came USA 15 days prior to my H1B expiry. My employer has applied for H1B extension and provided me the copy of receipt. When i asked they say the original receipt is with the attorney. I didn't get my SSN because at the time of applying i don't have 2 weeks validity of my I-94. But my employer says i can work without SSN and get paid manual cheque and i can apply for SSN when my H1B extension is approved.

Now i might get a better job offer. I have below questions,

1. Can i change the job while my extension is pending and that too i don't have the original receipt with me.

2. Having no SSN would be a problem for my new employer in providing the job offer?

3. Can i work for few months as my employer says without getting SSN also? Not sure how they plan to manage.

4. Working beyond I-94 expiry will become illegal even though i have extension receipt with me?

5. On any emergency, if i have to travel to india and come back would i need an H1B extension approved and valid I-94 OR the extension receipt with paystubs is sufficient.

Thanks,
    Balu

1. Can i change the job while my extension is pending and that too i don't have the original receipt with me.
    >>> You can. Read about posts related to "bridging" in the forum. Although, I will advise you to wait until you get the extension and then transfer it to a new employer to less complicate things since you will be having an expired I-94.

2. Having no SSN would be a problem for my new employer in providing the job offer?
    >>> Yes.

3. Can i work for few months as my employer says without getting SSN also? Not sure how they plan to manage.
    >>> Yes. But they will not be able to pay you (generate pay slips) until you get the SSN.

4. Working beyond I-94 expiry will become illegal even though i have extension receipt with me?
    >>> No. But if the extension gets denied, then your stay beyond I-94 expiry date will be considered illegal.

5. On any emergency, if i have to travel to india and come back would i need an H1B extension approved and valid I-94 OR the extension receipt with paystubs is sufficient.
    >>> It is never advisable to travel when you extension / transfer is in process with USCIS. Search and read about posts related to travel when a petition is pending.
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X