Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of name in I-94 on H-4

Hi,

My wife is here in USA on an H-4 visa which has been issued to her in the previous name. We got her new passport with the changed name after coming to USA. However, the I-94 still bears her previous name. The visa and the I-94 are valid till June 2013.

I think it's necessary to show I-94 when applying for driver's license at the California DMV. And that is why we would to change the I-94.

We tried to do so by visiting the Deferring Inspection Office, but, the officer-in-charge said he wouldn't be able to do so.
    Alternately, to change the name,
    1. File for I-102 as mentioned by the CBP when they answered to my question - Costs $300
    2. File for I-539 as told by my legal adviser - Costs $320
    3. As mentioned by both, CBP and legal adviser, she could travel out of USA and when re-entering she would be issued an I-94 with the new name present on the new passport. I have gotten the same feedback from one of the US consulates in India and all of them advised to carry relevant Change of Name documents.
    4. Get a fresh visa stamped on her new passport as told by the officer-in-charge at the Deferring Inspection Office.

Which of the above 4 options is the best? I would want to make sure that the option#3 is really true since we plan to travel in the next 6-months and I am not very comfortable with the idea of her going for another visa interview within one year.

Please could you share your comments/thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    Mahi

3 and 4 are good according to me. Get new Visa and then new I-94 upon entry.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X