Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chennai US Consulate : I 797 A , Copy

Hi Guys,
    My wife and I are , scheduled to appear for my H1B visa interview with the chennai US consulate on Nov 16,2010 at 12:00 hours.

I had to make a urgent trip to India on Nov 5,2010 as my father in law had passed away on Nov 4,2010. As a result of this emergency travel , i had to leave the country ( USA ) only with a copy of my approved petition ( Form I797 A : Notice of Action). I had to schedule the earliest availble date with the consulate , and the Original notice of action ( Form I 797 A) was sent via US postal mail to my address in India and i have not yet received it. I have a death certificate to confirm my emergency travel. My employer is arranging for a duplicate copy of I 797 A , if the one sent earlier was lost in email.

Would the US Consulate , Chennai make an exception and let me appear for the visa interview with a copy of my I 797 A ?

Any help is appreciated... I found this info here.

Petitions

Before applying for a temporary worker visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad applicants must obtain an approved Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker from USCIS. This form must be submitted by your prospective employer at USCIS’s Temporary Workers webpage no earlier than 6 months prior to the proposed employment start date. Employers should file the petition as soon as possible within the 6 month period to allow adequate time for processing. Should you need petition processing faster, see Premium Processing Service on USCIS website. Once approved, the employer will be sent Form I-797, Notice of Action.

Important Note: The Form I-797 is no longer needed for your interview, However, to verify petition approval we will need your I-129 petition receipt number so please make sure to have this available.

I have emailed the Chennai consulate and at this time all i can do is taking a chance.

Sorry to hear that. As they can verify the petition using the PIMS system, they might make an exception. Take the death certificate.

The worst that can happen is issue a 221g for your I797A.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Chennai US Consulate : I 797 A , Copy

I sent a email to Chennai US consulate and they responded that the original I 797 is not a requirement and a copy should suffice. Have taken a print out of that reponse and going to take a chance.

Lets see...

Comment

I am on the same situation

Originally posted by VKRAMESH View Post
        I sent a email to Chennai US consulate and they responded that the original I 797 is not a requirement and a copy should suffice. Have taken a print out of that reponse and going to take a chance.

Lets see...
        Hi Ramesh

I have scheduled Travel in Nov 14th 2015, but I misplaced my I 797 document , What happend to your visa ?. Can i Travel with Copy of I 797 document ?. I appreciate your response.

Thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X