Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I buy a car when my H1B extension is in process?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I buy a car when my H1B extension is in process?

Hi,

I came to US in April-2010.

My H1B got expired in Sep-2010 and by the time it got expired, my H1B extension is filed.

Now I am working in Sunnyvale, CA.

I didn't have US driving license. Instead I am having International driving permit from India.

Questions:
    =======

1) Can I drive in Sunnyvale, CA without US drivers license?
    2) For how many months can I drive with International drivers permit in CA?
    3) Can I buy a car in CA without US drivers license?
    4) Can I complete all other required procedures without a US drivers license i.e., registration, insurance etc?
    5) What are the pros and cons of buying a car without US drivers license?

I came to US in April-2010.

My H1B got expired in Sep-2010 and by the time it got expired, my H1B extension is filed.

Now I am working in Sunnyvale, CA.

I didn't have US driving license. Instead I am having International driving permit from India.

Questions:
    =======

1) Can I drive in Sunnyvale, CA without US drivers license?

---- I believe you can drive a car in the US on an International Driver's license for upto 6 months from the date of issue of your International license
    It does not matter where you drive in the US, it is total of 6 months

2) For how many months can I drive with International drivers permit in CA?

---- As above

3) Can I buy a car in CA without US drivers license?

---- Yes, you can buy a car in the US. It depends on the dealer who wants to sell you a car. Either you pay for it entirely or fincance it (lease or loan). You have to convince your dealer that your license is currently valida and soon you will get a US Driver's license (before or just after the expiry of your Driver's license)

4) Can I complete all other required procedures without a US drivers license i.e., registration, insurance etc?

---- Insurance may be easy to get with a International Driver's license. For Vehicle Registration you have to enquire with your local DMV office.

5) What are the pros and cons of buying a car without US drivers license

---- Get the CA driver's license as quickly as possible and you will avaoid all the above questions. If you are on an International Driver's license everyone will consider you to be a temporary resident and all the official matters such as vehicle registration and insurance will be considered to be temporary

---- Try and establish a permanent statu by getting a Driver's license that will be valid at least for the first tenure of your visa status

Subrmanya

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X